Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Evidence of sex question

In Wyoming, it is illegal to take the head (unless brain matter removed and skull cap cleaned, spine or lymph nodes out of the State of Wyoming due to CWD issues. With antelope, you will get away with removing evidence of sex and that once it is processed. I have never saved that stuff once I butchered my critters.

CWD only affects members of the deer family, so surely this regulation doesn't apply to pronghorn, right?

CWD only affects members of the deer family, so surely this regulation doesn't apply to pronghorn, right?

As said by Hunting Wife, I am referring mainly to elk, deer, and moose. It's illegal to take the head and spinal column out of Wyoming or to bring from another state into Wyoming. They want you to leave that at the kill site or bury it in approved landfills.

Antelope has no similar restrictions that I am aware of.

If you are wanting to take your skull home for a euro mount, read the cwd regulation. If still unsure I suggest calling Brian Nesvick or his replacement Rick King, the new chief game warden/Division Chief, and ask.

Per 2019 regulation, it is not illegal to take the head of Elk/Deer/Moose out of wyoming, nor are you required to cut the skull cap off. Cape it, remove the eyes and brains, and you're fine. Wyoming added "skull" to their regulation, allowing you to do a euro mount at home. Some neighboring states however, have not included the work "skull" in their regulation so getting the skull back into your state may still be a problem but I'd call and ask them as well.

Last edited:
If you are wanting to take your skull home for a euro mount, read the cwd regulation. If still unsure I suggest calling Brian Nesvick or his replacement Rick King, the new chief game warden/Division Chief, and ask.

Per 2019 regulation, it is not illegal to take the head of Elk/Deer/Moose out of wyoming, nor are you required to cut the skull cap off. Cape it, remove the eyes and brains, and you're fine. Wyoming added "skull" to their regulation, allowing you to do a euro mount at home. Some neighboring states however, have not included the work "skull" in their regulation so getting the skull back into your state may still be a problem but I'd call and ask them as well.

Incorrect. Per 2019 regulation brochure, page 5, only certain parts of elk, deer, or moose may be transported to other states or countries. That excludes the head with brain matter intact, spinal column or teeth.

I delivered a quite a bit of Game and Fish records to Brian before they went all digital. The recommendation to call the chief game warden or the licensing staff at WGFS is a good one. Phone numbers are on page 2 of your brochure. I work with the State Records Center and deal with a quite a few of these regulations and related files. My advice comes through calls I made to the Licensing Desk to be sure along with the regional office for the Gillette and Cheyenne areas who I always call before I go hunting. Next year I am planning to hunt areas 104/102 on a general license so I will be contacting the regional warden for those areas to get advice on specific restrictions and requirements. Be aware that the brochure IS NOT the regulation, it is for information only. You still have the duty to know and obey the law. Actual game commissioner signed regulations are posted on the WGFS website.

EDIT: I made the call to the G&F to be sure. You can take head and antlers out of state provided all meat, brain matter and teeth are removed. It is tricky, but you CAN remove the skin from the head for a taxidermy mount. Personally, I recommend finding an instate taxidermist who can ship your mount to you and ask how they want the hide prepared.

Cut and paste directly from Page 5 of the 2019 Hunting Brochure: "Deer, elk or moose taken from within any other state, province or country may only be imported into Wyoming if carcasses are transported directly to a private residence for processing, to a taxidermist, to a processor or to a CWD sample collection site provided the head and all portions of the spinal column are disposed of in an approved landfill or incinerator. " and for transportion within the State of Wyoming for animals killed in this state: "a) Deer, elk and moose taken in Wyoming may be transported within Wyoming to a camp, a private residence for processing, a taxidermist, a processor, or a CWD sample collection site in Wyoming, provided the head and all portions of the spinal column remain at the site of the kill or such parts are disposed of in any approved landfill or approved incinerator in Wyoming."

Now read the last sentence completely. You can transport a head directly to a taxidermist or to your home in Wyoming BUT you must dispose of the viscera and bones and spinal column and that in an approved landfill. Most cities I know of take that into their trash collection and dispose of it in an approved landfill.

Last edited:
It is perfectly legal to cape the skull, remove the eyes and brain, and transport that SKULL out of the state, meeting the CWD requirements. That came straight from Nesvicks lips prior to the 2019 regulations being drafted. They then included the word "skull" in the draft, then approved, 2019 regulation.

" (c) Only the following parts of any deer, elk or moose taken
in Wyoming may be transported to other states, provinces or countries: edible portions with no part
of the spinal column or head; cleaned hide without the head; skull or skull plate or antlers that
have been cleaned of all meat and brain tissue
; teeth; or finished taxidermy mounts.
Whole deer, elk and moose carcasses shall not be transported out of Wyoming."

Last edited:
It is perfectly legal to cape the skull, remove the eyes and brain, and transport that SKULL out of the state, meeting the CWD requirements. That came straight from Nesvicks lips prior to the 2019 regulations being drafted. They then included the word "skull" in the draft, then approved, 2019 regulation.

" (c) Only the following parts of any deer, elk or moose taken
in Wyoming may be transported to other states, provinces or countries: edible portions with no part
of the spinal column or head; cleaned hide without the head; skull or skull plate or antlers that
have been cleaned of all meat and brain tissue
; teeth; or finished taxidermy mounts.
Whole deer, elk and moose carcasses shall not be transported out of Wyoming."

Now aint that what I typed? That it is tricky, but you can cape an animal and should talk to a taxidermist before? Yes, once you remove meat and brain matter from the skull you can take it just about anywhere.

I shot two bucks this year in Wyo. The first, I had the chance to cut and wrap that day and keep hunting while the meat was frozen. The second I shot the day I had to make the trip back home. I quartered it and left the pecker and one testie (second one fell off!) on a hind quarter and called it a day. Not that hard to do, you just have to be careful if you skin the wang and balls not to cut them off.

I shot two bucks this year in Wyo. The first, I had the chance to cut and wrap that day and keep hunting while the meat was frozen. The second I shot the day I had to make the trip back home. I quartered it and left the pecker and one testie (second one fell off!) on a hind quarter and called it a day. Not that hard to do, you just have to be careful if you skin the wang and balls not to cut them off.

Be sure and save them venison oysters. You'd be shocked how tasty them things are if you didn't know what you was eating.

Again though, they do not have to be attached to quartered meat, just accompanying the meat. The game commission here is hunter friendly and hunters themselves so they understand and write the rules. Well I can't say all the game commission. One guy on it seems to be anti-hunter. But that's just my opinion. I go to the commission meetings and have voiced my concern on issues and I did make note there seems to be confusion in the brochure about this subject. I suggested they need to indicate that proof of sex does not have to be physically attached when you quarter meat. The book says "accompany" but a lot of people interpret that as "attached" and I bet some junior game wardens do too.

Be sure and save them venison oysters. You'd be shocked how tasty them things are if you didn't know what you was eating.

Again though, they do not have to be attached to quartered meat, just accompanying the meat. The game commission here is hunter friendly and hunters themselves so they understand and write the rules. Well I can't say all the game commission. One guy on it seems to be anti-hunter. But that's just my opinion. I go to the commission meetings and have voiced my concern on issues and I did make note there seems to be confusion in the brochure about this subject. I suggested they need to indicate that proof of sex does not have to be physically attached when you quarter meat. The book says "accompany" but a lot of people interpret that as "attached" and I bet some junior game wardens do too.

I always overkill when hunting away from home and especially in an other country. Last thing I need is a zealous CO or LEO to ruin my day trying to explain that what I'm doing is legal. That way I avoid issues or wasting time I could be hunting!

I always overkill when hunting away from home and especially in an other country. Last thing I need is a zealous CO or LEO to ruin my day trying to explain that what I'm doing is legal. That way I avoid issues or wasting time I could be hunting!

There ya go. That is why I recommend keeping it attached until you get home. I do more than required myself, just because I know and have met some inexperienced wardens who were not always correct on the law. I beat one in Colorado in my 30s on a hunter trespass ticket. I shot the animal legally and it wandered onto a deeded ranch. Back then it was a felony not to recover your game even if it went on private property. His own hand drawn map showed the exact place my spent cartridges landed. I showed the judge the map and the more serious charge of hunter tresspass - killing wild game on private property was dismissed as I proved it was on the BLM land when I shot it and even the rancher had to admit to it. I left having to pay a simple $50 trespassing ticket which I was willing to do at the onset. Now days, they changed the laws on that. You now have to attempt to get permission from the landowner to retrieve game, and if you can't you are supposed to call it in to the game and fish regional office. I think I was the prod that got the Colorado legislature to change that law after I called my representative and requested i but I think there was likely more than just me requesting change. Now, I will not hunt close to boundary areas unless I am positive I can retrieve the game and it will not wander onto private.

Back