Elk On Road North of Campground

WyoDoug

I spotted this guy on the road north of where we plan to base camp in our hunt area this year. This guy is going to grow into something big if no one finds him during hunt season. Still in velvet. I think they are going to be rubbing that stuff off pretty soon as rut is about to get underway in a few weeks or so. Nice to have fishing area next to your base camp so you have an excuse to go up and scout regular.

elk sighting on rod.jpg

He'll add some tine length before he sheds that velvet in Aug. I think.
Good luck on the hunt WyoDoug.
Hoping we get some monsoon rains in all of our areas this coming week.

Is the a GPS dart I see? lol...
I got a quite a few on them on my map. The locals are telling me that you can go days without seeing any elk in the area and then all the sudden you will find your self swimming in them. I am just trying to determine their pattern and where they are likely to go once shooting starts. Private is one but not the only. I found several areas at least a mile from the road to look at.

The locals are telling me that you can go days without seeing any elk in the area and then all the sudden you will find your self swimming in them.

In my experience, that's elk hunting in a nutshell.

Not like muleys, where you can find a couple in every draw. Just my experience in the units I hunt.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back