Elk Hunting on Private Land Colorado GMU 11 (1st Rifle)

Bcommissiong

My 12-year-old son Elijah and I are new to this...wanted to get him out from the house and the PS4 and get him involved in hunting as a friend of mine told me that there is a need for youth to get interested in hunting. We went out and bought all of the necessary gear and Elijah has been very pumped up and longing to go on his first hunt, but we lack the knowledge on how to find landowners that would allow hunting on their land.
I purchased a leftover 1st rifle Elk tag for Elijah Oct 10th - Oct 14th only to realize that it is for private land only (GMU 11) and was wondering if there is anyone out there in GMU 11 that is willing to allow Elijah to hunt on their land so as to help keep his interest in hunting.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I looked at the regs and the only 1st rifle Private land only tag for unit 11 (E-E-011-P1-R) Is an either sex tag. It also includes all of the surrounding units. That helps as youre more likely to find permission/fee-based hunts for cows. But it’s still a long shot.

B3B1B404-66B4-4F96-89BA-BCA113DC8F05.jpeg

However, the bad news is that, obviously, the season is 40% over at this point which will make it really difficult. If you are already out there, you could call around/knock on some doors, but I’d be prepared to not find much and unlikely to find it for free.

There are a handful of later season (2nd, 3rd, 4th) cow tags in other units still on the list (‘B’ tags, which he would need since the tag he has is an ‘A’ tag). that is probably the better option. Would look closely as several of them are in areas currently affected by the fires.

Are you hunting as well? Being dads helper is usually just as much fun, education, and experience as holding the tag himself.

You are correct, I checked the tag and it is for either sex. I do not have a tag, I would simply enjoy accompanying Elijah on his first elk hunt.

Good information. Thanks for taking the time to share, it’s hard getting into this without anyone to share their knowledge.
Elijah is soon to enter his teen years so I am hoping that he can have some positive experiences that could keep him engaged.

Back