Elk hunt fiasco

I went hunting in Oregon second season in November with guide cost me a bundle and the following happened.
First day saw a group with magnificent bull but was art 365 yards in light brushes and trees could not shoot.
My guide was obset and remark that this bull might be the only one I will see the whole 5 day hunt .
Left that day very frustrated by this person.
Second day located bull with herd and shoot hit and injured on the first shoot and second and missed on third.
Saw the bull limping and went bedded itself under trees.
The guide went to check saw him from the rear and returned to let me know and then he decided to go back to truck that was at 1/2 mile.
Still don t know why?
When we came back about 45mm later no bull under the tree ,
Then he went down this slope slipped grab a tree limp so hard that it snap with loud noise .
The bull was gone.
Please let me know what are your thoughts.
Thank you
Eric

I'm thinking there was, some alcohol. Involved somewhere
You should have went with him and finished the bull, whole lot of wrongs in this one

What happend day 3,4,5....... sounds like an unfortunate situation none the less but things like that happen in hunting. The guide sounds like a effn moron with his negativity. Not much more that a guy can gather from your story though. If he was that badly hurt though and you still had 3 days i'm curious to hear the end. Merry Christmas

Ive been on guided hunts and yes things happen but lots missing from this story Like Eyjonas said what happened on the next 3 days
As for myself if I had a wounded elk Id be following up and doing everything possible to retrieve that animal and not just move on any animal deserves that respect maybe he did maybe he didnt

I don’t think Eric is finding the sympathy he’s wanting. What does he expect on a DIY forum?
Could you not have moved closer to the first bull? How far was the second bull? Why the heck didn’t you at least follow the “guide” down the where the bull bedded, a Texas heart shot would have been better than letting a wounded bull get away. Did you bother looking for him the remaining 3 days?
Welcome to the forum and the real world.

What was the reasoning for the guide to check on him and not finish the animal off? If I was on a guided hunt if and crippled an animal I would not have just let the guide go check on him. I would have been in his back pocket (or probably out in front) and made a finishing shot if I had it regardless of what the guide said.

I believe the guide was obset (upset is the correct spelling), but I would be too with 3 shots and no dead bull.

Back