Elk Guide?

NChunter

I have a friend who wants to surprise her husband with a guided elk hunt for his birthday. What a wife! She asked my advice but I have never used a guide. Who would you guys recommend?

Way to open ended.Need to set some parameters as to what she is looking for.With the biggest being how much she is willing to spend.

Scratch WY unless you buy a leftover tag since the draw is over Youve got a couple of weeks to apply for MT but that propably won't be a 100% draw. Colorado has OTC tags for many units so that will propably be your best option to find an outfitter unless you spring for a landowner tag in NM, CO, or UT which will be pretty expensive along with guiding fees. I think ID has some easy to get tags as well. You might look at Huntin Fool's website under Hunt Finder for endorsed outfitters with guaranteed tags.

OR just go high fence, for about $3000 you can shoot a 7 point bull that stands in a 90 acre field here in Oklahoma, LOL. I would not recommend option.

Way to open ended.Need to set some parameters as to what she is looking for.With the biggest being how much she is willing to spend.

I asked and she has not told me her budget. I am assuming Colorado would be the easiest to get a tag and maybe the cheapest. I hunt in Colorado, but have never used a guide. She said she wanted to get him a guided elk hunt and he would use a rifle, that is all I know.

Scratch WY unless you buy a leftover tag since the draw is over Youve got a couple of weeks to apply for MT but that propably won't be a 100% draw. Colorado has OTC tags for many units so that will propably be your best option to find an outfitter unless you spring for a landowner tag in NM, CO, or UT which will be pretty expensive along with guiding fees. I think ID has some easy to get tags as well. You might look at Huntin Fool's website under Hunt Finder for endorsed outfitters with guaranteed tags.

OR just go high fence, for about $3000 you can shoot a 7 point bull that stands in a 90 acre field here in Oklahoma, LOL. I would not recommend option.

I would not help anyone go on a high fence shoot.:D

A few quick questions will help focus the search.

Would your friend rather;
Stay in a motel/lodge and drive to hunt area each day
or
Pack into a wilderness on horses and sleep in a tent.

Hunt average size bulls in spectacular, scenic Rocky Mt high country
or
Hunt really big bulls in scrub oak and junipers.

A few quick questions will help focus the search.

Stay in a motel/lodge and drive to hunt area each day
or
Pack into a wilderness on horses and sleep in a tent.

Hunt average size bulls in spectacular, scenic Rocky Mt high country
or
Hunt really big bulls in scrub oak and junipers.

Pack in and hunt the average size bulls. It is his first elk hunt.

Winterhawk outfitters up in the flattops wilderness seems to be pretty good. now I've never used them but that's a start. pretty pricey for me but I like doing things the hard way anyway...gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

Do a web search for Chris Journey Outfitters. He has some great ranches in OTC GMU's (Craig area) and the terrain is stupid easy. Never used an outfitter, but if I did he'd be the one I'd go through just because on his ranches.

Not gunna be monster bulls, but would be a awesome experience. I worked here right out of HS, before heading to college. Great people, fun terrain, excellent high country camps and a OTC tag.

http://www.sheppranch.com/

It would take drawing a Montana tag, but I know the owner of East Fork Outfitters, has always been a great guy and as hard a worker as you could find and hunts some beautiful country. Is a pack in hunt. Takes some good bulls and a chance at some great bulls.

Roy Hutt with Little Cone Outfitters out of norwood, colorado. I hunted there twice and killed 2 decent bulls before I started OYO hunting. 970-327-4620. The guys from Summit treestands hunt there every year. Nice cabin and good food and all private land. Think he gets 2500.00 for a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back