Elk Euro - Sous Vide

AvidIndoorsman

Thought I’d do a quick post as this method works so well for cleaning a skull.
F2DCD151-71F2-483B-8D68-24DBE8F68A62.jpeg

48 hours 155 for first 24 hours and then 145 for the last 24 hours. 4 scoops of oxiclean.

E2534A12-D627-43CC-9C09-91CE6FE8EF53.jpeg

Power-washed and drying, no picking required.

164A7288-94B0-40BF-A36A-A92FBDB2E093.jpeg
5DBA1CD5-1901-4F38-902F-D19DDB1134C2.jpeg

After whitening with 50vol developer creme
1573080431339.png
1573080447150.png
1573080456675.png

After sealing with Paraloid B-72, I used taxidermy.net recommendations and mixed 1.5 tables spoons for 1 cup acetone. There were a couple of shiny spots but they buffed out with a bit of acetone on a rag.

A67A179D-83DF-47C7-91BC-7C150D828E9A.jpeg

4F49D677-B2BC-4C70-BD1A-C9EDC1649B9A.jpeg

4FE21B57-AD82-4749-9E2A-FE3B774F54BD.jpeg

Last edited:
It didn’t stink up the house? I’ve always don’t mine with Borax and dawn. That fat and grease still stink when it’s simmering.

It didn’t stink up the house? I’ve always don’t mine with Borax and dawn. That fat and grease still stink when it’s simmering.
Covered with that custom lid the smell is very minimal... my wife made me light a scented candle, but other than that no complaint. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it in a hotel, if I had to.

I just got my first sous vide today, soley for the purpose of cleaning skulls! Haha. So excited to try it out. The idea of not picking is so appealing. I love that you do them in your house and your wife doesn't care.

I am amazed that you did it in the house lol. Tip of the hat on what looks like a job well done. A little whitening and you have it. I macerate them, but the barn smells pretty good for a few months. Nicely done.

I just got my first sous vide today, soley for the purpose of cleaning skulls! Haha. So excited to try it out. The idea of not picking is so appealing. I love that you do them in your house and your wife doesn't care.

It really doesn’t smell bad like boiling does and i would be willing to do them in the house. I do them in the garage because there’s more room there and it’s easier to keep the dogs away from it.

It really doesn’t smell bad like boiling does and i would be willing to do them in the house. I do them in the garage because there’s more room there and it’s easier to keep the dogs away from it.
I may just have to try it inside

I may just have to try it inside
For the record I came home from my hunt with a new melanzana hoodie for my wife. It may not smell all that much, but I am taking up an awful lot of living room real-estate, so I try and give a nod to her putting up with the process.

For the record I came home from my hunt with a new melanzana hoodie for my wife. It may not smell all that much, but I am taking up an awful lot of living room real-estate, so I try and give a nod to her putting up with the process.
Had to look those up. Pricy! Good for you! Haha.

Updated with pictures of final result. I definitely recommend using paraloid B-72 as a non-yellowing sealant and protectant, especially if you are keeping euros in a garage. You get a great non-tacky matte finish that you can easily wipe down to clean.

How thick do you lay on the developer cream? Wipe/buff it off afterwards?

How thick do you lay on the developer cream? Wipe/buff it off afterwards?
Thick, I do a layer of developer then add put a layer of paper towel on it then another layer of developer. This helps the liquid peroxide stay in place and make contact with all of the skull.

The next key step is wrapping the peroxided skull, if you don’t it will just dry out with minimal whitening, I’ve explained this process to several buddies in detail they always skip this and just leave it out overnight and basically nothing happens.

Wrap needs to be airtight so lay it on super thick. Put the skull in front of a big south facing window if possible (Somewhere warm) and let it sit for a long time. I usually go 10 days.

71F6BC79-F840-4CF1-A996-67E349FD355A.jpegD9EB8018-23FE-4E23-8144-FF10EEFC2024.jpeg

Updated with pictures of final result. I definitely recommend using paraloid B-72 as a non-yellowing sealant and protectant, especially if you are keeping euros in a garage. You get a great non-tacky matte finish that you can easily wipe down to clean.
Just curious where you get the paraloid B-72? Did a search and it came up with lots of epoxy resins but couldn't tell for sure what they were, they didn't specifically say they were paraloid B-72. Do you brush it on? Thanks

Back