Caribou Gear

Elk Calls

CTELK83

Hey all... Curious what opinions people have on calls. I have a bunch of diaphrams, mostly Rocky Mtn and Phelps. Also have a couple bite and blows from primos and rocky mtn. Diaphrams are getting old and dry. I know this is going to be personal preference like bows, arrows, broadheads, boots, base layers etc... But I thought id ask. Looking to grab a few diaphrams and maybe new bite and blow for this fall.... Suggestions? I am from the east and only chase elk for about 10 days a year if I'm lucky. I would rate my calling a C- the actual calling a D+ but a bonus for having a little understanding of what the calls mean haha

I carry a Primos “hoochie mama” and a Knight and Hale similar but with variable tone control in addition to diaphragms. That way I can call a couple different tones at same time or run them together or whatever combo I feel is needed. For me the multiple sounds get more interest than just one call but I hunt alone. Can’t believe I’m putting this on the internet. Brand makes know difference use whatever you are confident in and sounds good to you.

Clean your diaphragms and put in refrigerator after the season. They will last quite a few years that way.

Diaphragms are cheap I buy a couple new ones each year and take the ones from the year before and keep as back ups. by the time you practice all summer the latex is normally pretty stretched by end of season. I have a couple that i use year after year just getting a new one of same type. I also carry a bite and blow, pretty much just anything this is mainly because they make a different tone then a diaphragm. I have watched bulls that i couldnt get to move with a diaphragm switched the the bit and blow and instantly started toward me. Cleaning I have heard teh fridge thing but I just rinse with water, dry well and place in a small ziploc and put in my tot bin with all my other gear.

For diaphragms I really like Phelps. Pink and the Maverick are my favorites, but the grey, black and green ones would be the best choices for beginners.

For an external call, Primos Hyper Lip Single is a good one.

I use Native by Carlton diaphragm calls, they’re made in Western Colorado too.

Last edited:
I can't do an elk call diaphragm. I wish I could, just can't figure it out. I use a Terminator and, a Hoochie Mama, and a primos bite/blow.

I used to hunt turkey a lot in my Texas days and used diaphragms almost exclusively. I don't know why I can turkey talk but not elk talk. I really struggle with it, but the advice of soaking them in Listerine and keeping them in the fridge is solid.

The Ace-1 is what I use and I have 2. The first one was early on and has a different insert that makes the sounds than a later model I have. They have a little different tone and work well sounding like more than one cow elk.
Get 2 , if you leave it in your mouth for long they get clogged with spit. The sound that comes out then is not anything like a cow elk.

Back