Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Eastman's MRS

Wonder if Eastman's is aware the MRS has issues. I propose they provide one more month of subscription for the first person to make them aware of each error or omission in the current MRS. That would provide incentive for the MRS to be accurate to begin with but also to get corrected so the online version would have value. An incorrect printed and online MRS is bird cage liner.

I only just started this western hunting thing in 2012. I subscribed to Eastman's and it was helpful in learning the basics of how the states draws work and some basic unit info. I quickly tired of the grammar and spelling errors in the stories but kept them around to use the MRS as a quick reference. I renewed late last fall and one of the sales pitches they used was access to their online MRS, which I'd taken advantage of up until then. Wouldn't you know it, just a month or two after renewing, they told me I'd have to pay extra to access the online MRS!! In my mind, that is blatantly stealing from me. I will not ever consider renewing my subscription again if that's the way they will treat their customers.

I've gotten way better information from people I've met hunting and websites like this. So, it's no big loss for me.

I still catch there TV Show when I can ,I like the scenery,but I droped the magazine and never did find the MRS to be very valuable to me.

People are mad because somebody took their turd?

Greenhorn, I hear this booner buck came from a blue chip area:

flopgunlope.jpg

Glad you guys are agreeing that the MRS is a crock! It actually did if you want to believe Eastmans MRS baloney that took it from yellow for years right to a blue chip this year! Seeing as it's on my wall right behind my computer desk here I know right where it came from, what it was shot with (handload .243 Hornady 100 grain BTSP out of my Sako Forester on 10/4/12) and what it scored! Here's an even better one that my buddy got last year two miles from where I shot that one. This one was scored officially up in Cody by an official B&C scorer and netted 84 4/8"after the 60 day drying period. I only missed this one by about an 1 1/2" when I scored him before I headed back to MI in November last year.

Official Score Sheet By B&C Scorer In Cody:
Tip To Tip------8 7/8"
Inside Spread---13 4/8"
Right Horn------16 4/8"
Left Horn-------16 0/8"
Base Right-------6 5/8"
Base Left--------6 3/8"
1/4s Right-------6 4/8", 3 7/8", 2 5/8"
1/4s Left--------6 6/8", 3 6/8", 2 4/8"
Right Prong------7 2/8"
Left Prong-------7 1/8"
Right Total------43 3/8"
Left Total-------42 4/8"
Total Gross------85 7/8"
Total Deducts---- 1 3/8"
Net--------------84 4/8"

Attachments

• Wyoming 2014 097.jpg
    Wyoming 2014 097.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,596
Last edited:
Several times I've seen them list units as blue chip because of a new hunt # in the regs when in reality fish and game is trying to salvage the hunt by combining areas and cutting tags in half.

Other magazines mix it up a bit, Eastmans is all repeat hunting story's and $500 rain jacket reviews. Better hunting recaps here and much better hunt info looking up yourself or other places.

Topgun,

I guess with all the booners coming from your area, they have it right with a blue chip designation?

Topgun,

I guess with all the booners coming from your area, they have it right with a blue chip designation?

I wouldn't call 2 taken there in 3 years, and that were the only ones I know of in the unit, that I would classify it as a blue chipper! There are a few in every unit if you know how to hunt and spend some time just like you've mentioned many times to guys wanting help on where to go. Cripes, the MRS doesn't even have the correct season dates for the unit in their MRS this year and they're showing the cost of the NR licenses as what the elk license costs, just like they are in their deer MRS section. With that many mistakes there, I could probably get rich if you paid me $1 for each mistake I can find in all their lousy write ups! Even with WapitiBob telling them how the Special General second choice tags are filled they can't get that right either and they live right in Wyoming, LOL! HF was just as bad on that one, if not worse!

Last edited:
Does the mrs subscription come with a magic tape?

Nope, but after a recent dustup on MM with a lot of people where you were also very wrong on that bull's score, it's hard to believe you're still talking tape measures, LOL, but if you want to read a bunch of mistakes and other BS, then sign right up for Eastmans, as they'll readily take money off a credit card, even yours BuzzH!

Last edited:
I wonder if maybe the Eastman's boys have just lost sight of the type of magazine their dad Mike had
made into a great publication. When I first saw one of those magazines in the late 90's I was just amazed at the pics of some great animals. Seems like since Guy took over there have been more and more ads, which they did say they needed in order to grow the magazine even more. The reviews on a lot of products always end up endorsing the most expensive product that the average hunter such as myself could never afford.
It could be one more succesful thing handed over to the kids and being driven into the ground.

Last edited:
there magazine was helpful and great reading at first but the MRS thing did make me feel cheated. i know that data isnt accurate and it doesnt take long to figure it out! i am a hunting rifle guy and always like to see the little equiptment tag and see what the person used to shot it with. The show is even now even getting to be a joke, seem to be a lot more guided and private lands their hunting on...not what they are suppose to repersent. i got a good laugh during the last edition when the article i was reading had the same paragraph back-to-back in the story. no one seems to edit the magazine and there are tons of adds, the MRS change was probably the last straw for me and my subscription.

Gr8bawana---IMHO they are sort of like Cabelas in that they once had a great product with fantastic customer service, but about the time Cabelas went public and started growing by leaps and bounds the customer complaints started getting put out on the net and they seem to be growing every year as the company continues to expand. I have to agree with WapitiBob that they are in way over their heads with that MRS and are into way too many other things such that they can't be involved enough in each facet of their business any more to see that things run smoothly. It gets back to the old axiom of when is enough enough? In their case IMHO they passed it several years ago and are too smug to back off and slow down, especially when they rolled out that digital version of the magazine and MRS way before it had been properly tested and the bugs worked out. Now they are getting tons of complaints from their customers and have lost a lot of them because of it. Multiply the number of people making all the negative complaints on threads like this across the internet times many more complaints that those represent and they have a big problem!

Last edited:
Would you rather have some good details about where to hunt .. along with hundreds of thousands of other people - or a turd?

Cutters aren't the only thing that's scored and contrary to what you stated on another thread, the third circumference on an antelope is taken below the prongs if things work out mathematically depending on where the prong swell falls. Look it up, as it's in plain English in the B&C scoring system! I hope you and BuzzH are having fun again, but it doesn't show much integrity on your part when you try to do it at other people's expense, especially when you're just looking at one side picture of a goat like that. Hope you both have a good evening!

Last edited:
Ive got to agree also,,,Ive been looking through eastman mrs sections and have seen alot of inaccurate info in every issue.They really need to improve and have proof readers before they put it to print.I am also unhappy about them changing there back issues to the x-tra digital price increase to look at what I had already paid for.

Seriously for the love...this obsession you two have for each other is old.

I liked Eastmans because when I got on the hunting bus they were "DIY Public Land" and I liked that. The show now is mostly private and some guided. They hunt private land in SW Wyoming for deer every year and act like they are pulling a miracle off. The deer are not pressured on the Fraughton's property. I have been successful using some of their tactics and appreciate who they used to be but it has changed too much. It took me three phone calls to try and figure out the new MRS change this year and they did not have the guts to educate us on the new change. They did it under the table. One graph they published of draw odds transposed the non-resident table for the resident table. I thought I was the only one seeing these things. I am not going to renew. Thanks OYOA members for a great objective thread.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back