E-Scouting vs boots on the ground (poll)

How many of you e-scout only?

• Total voters

MtnElk

Curious how many people only put eyes on their unit of choice a few days before the hunt… vs those that make sure to put boots on the ground well in advance. (poll)

Last edited:

GrantK

Depends a lot on how rare the tag is and how close to home it is, I'd rather burn vacation time hunting for an OTC tag or easy draw, 15 point elk tag or a once-in-a-lifetime species and I'd almost prefer to spend more time scouting than hunting, know as much about individual animals as possible on opening day.

mevertsen

My dad has a deer tag in an area we know well and we hunted last year. I have e scouted that country a lot. And I have hunted all over it a Fajr amount for deer, elk, predators and small game.

What looks like a short hop doesnt always calculate out. What looks impossible might have a simple solution.

We went for a drive and came up with a solid plan I would not have considered were it not for driving out and taking a look.

It involves camping out of the main hunting area, and it involves my dad going through the effort to get permission to hunt some private property in the area.

Boots on the ground wins for me.

Dawson

I spend most of the time flying around in google earth marking good looking areas, if I’m able to then I’ll check them out in person, nothing ever look the same as it did on google earth

ElkFever2

I find there to be advantages to each, and I do both. In-person scouting is useful for finding how recently animals have been using an area, and which animals. Game trails are clearly visible on Google Earth Pro, but I need to be in person to look at scat, tracks, beds, rubs, etc.

Stocker

For me E-scouting is great to narrow down spots and have a few starting points, but for me personally I need boots on the ground. I have ADD so bad I mark way too many spots, many aren’t bad spots, but I waste a lot of time thinking I need to check all of them.

I went to Idaho a few years ago on an Idaho B tag? (I think it was a b tag, could shoot a bull in October with a rifle)

I had a lot of areas e-scouted. It took me basically the entire hunt to work through all my waypoints. If I was there during archery season I’m confident I would’ve been in elk hard, but they were in different areas during my hunt.

2rocky

Boots on the ground is the only way to truly scout an area. I laughed as where I killed a bull in a roadless area was marked on a Escouting site as a 4wd road open year round.

About 1/3 of what looks good on a screen is worth a damn in person. The screen just tells me where to start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spesh