Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Drew a Colorado mtn goat G06 tag, any advice?

Milehighwonder

Hi. Looking for advice on places to go, best trails, or any advice really for Colorado mountain goat unit G06, aka G6.

I’m hoping to hunt off access points in the eagles nest wilderness from the hwy 9 side, but I am also looking at accessing from I70 closer to vail.

I’ve driven through this area a bunch of times but never got way back into the wilderness where the goats would be.

I’m also pondering using a guide vs self guiding, so any recommendations on guides would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey JC...you should have a quick copy / paste function explaining how important it is to be active on this forum well BEFORE asking for help on a recently drawn tag. That would make everyone's life much easier.

OP...sorry no help here, I'm a couple of states north of you. Sorry.

I’ve seen goats on the slopes above Upper Slate Lake. It takes a little commitment to get there - about 18 miles round trip and significant elevation gain.

How much time do you have to scout? Spending your days under the stars while scouting or just able to make it a day here and there? Feel free to post a few photos of your area or even a marked up unit map of where you want to explore.

@Milehighwonder get the G6 map from Huntdata.com They will send you a waterproof map with all of the goat kill locations on record for the unit. I'm in the same process for my goat hunt this year. Then burn the boot leather and glass! The Gore range is no joke! I've seen goats 6 hour hikes in and thought "what the heck would I do if I shot that billy in here solo?".

Hi. Looking for advice on places to go, best trails, or any advice really for Colorado mountain goat unit G06, aka G6.

I’m hoping to hunt off access points in the eagles nest wilderness from the hwy 9 side, but I am also looking at accessing from I70 closer to vail.

I’ve driven through this area a bunch of times but never got way back into the wilderness where the goats would be.

I’m also pondering using a guide vs self guiding, so any recommendations on guides would be appreciated.

Thanks!
How many points did you draw with? Cpw site lists the drainage that each goat is killed in every year for free.

Back