Draw plans out the window.

williaada

Needing a place to vent due to the fact I have researched and selected units based on past years tag allocations. Going on 3 years in a row where the units I have selected have been reduced messing up my likely hood of drawing the unit I wanted to hunt. Makes me chuckle to think I spent a couple of months putting this plan together, and now have a month to try and figure out what to do.

If you plan has failed after just one draw result your plan is the problem.

I like the state having a chance to take into account winter kill impact. Better to cut tags than hammer a herd that is under target. The answer is those states with species at risk for heavy winter kills need to delay applications until can do the surveys then post results a week after the application closes.

For example, no reason WY should hold money for several weeks much less months. What is the NR Elk holding time? About the same as having a baby, right? If we can count millions of votes in November every other year then WY should be able to sort through a fraction of that many online applications in 7 days. Not picking on WY, just using as an example.

I know this is easy for me to say but, "Look on the bright side". You now have a chance to plan an entirely new hunt, improve your e-scouting skills. I love planning hunts and usually have at least 4-6 options based on the "inevitable" Murphy you have experienced. I seem to find myself e-scouting different areas of my state all the time and at any given time have 4-6 different options available to me. Many times it's purely back up plans incase out of state hunts don't pan out. Re-rout your thinking, including thoughts of trophy animals. Look forward to maybe finding a diamond you would have never found unless this happened to you.

Some of my most amazing hunts have been full on back up plans in places I have never even stepped foot into.

Stay positive

Or just call the Bio and ask how they are feeling about the upcoming season! They usually have a pretty good idea by January 31st what they are going to have to do in tag numbers.

I should clarify, I am more annoyed at my luck or skill of being able to select those units where the tags quotas have been reduced 3 years in a row, and each year I have chosen a different unit to hunt. I do appreciate the fact the State of Wyoming is proactive in herd management.

I should clarify, I am more annoyed at my luck or skill of being able to select those units where the tags quotas have been reduced 3 years in a row, and each year I have chosen a different unit to hunt. I do appreciate the fact the State of Wyoming is proactive in herd management.
I like that WY manages their herd well, BUT the reason the draw is many months before they set tag allocations is because they want to get more applications than any other state, and give their outfitters the most time to plan for the season. They hold their draw first so that no applicants are out of the pool because they drew somewhere else.

How many points do you have?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back