Down vest vs down jacket

My jacket goes with me almost all the time. I do have a synthetic vest that I add if I’m doing long sits in November for whitetail, cus it’s usually freezing cold. Or also for coyote hunting or wolf hunting in the winter which I mainly do in December and January. Can’t really hike any sort of distance in either though since they don’t really breathe.

I like both but for different uses. I really like vests in milder weather. They are nice to warm the core when it gets a little chilly if your not active. I always ditch the vest if it is a late season hunt. Especially when a lot of glassing is involved.

I have a small Free Country synthetic puffy, it's supper packable and weighs nothing. Paired up with a shell it allows me to sit for a few hours when temps hit the minuses. I can throw it on super quick or wear it without a shell on those very cold days where I'm on the move to get more air circulation and avoid overheating/freezing at the same time. I look like a Hutterite with their padded shoulder vests but dead animals don't seem to mind.

Still looking for a set of puffy pants that won't break the bank though.

OPZNbYi.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back