Caribou Gear Tarp

Dogs under control

OntarioHunter

Hunting pheasants today the dogs pushed up this nice whitetail buck that was bedded in the Russian olive on the fence line. He stopped and stood in the field for several minutes watching us. The dogs noticed it jump up in front of them but a quick "Leave it alone!" is all it took to refocus them. In the photo Ellie was more interested in the sharpie that just baled from the trees. Sorry for poor quality photo. Best my phone can do. He was a very pretty buck. Not a monster but appeared to have 5x5. Another shirtsleeve day of hunting ... at the end of November!20211123_150314.jpg20211123_150256.jpg20211123_150321.jpg

My dogs are a pleasure in the field, but alas my two Airedales have talked each other into being afraid of being shot over. My rat terrier could care less. But with all three, they have learned to leave deer and elk (and cattle) alone - nice, since it would be a tough conversation if I came home going less than 3 for 3. I used E-collars, and now rarely even have to use the tone. Normally, "this way", "stay close", "leave it", "go play" are all the instruction I have to give them, and generally just talk to them the whole time they are working (they will chase anything they can, but rabbits are their favorite). I've not had dogs this good in the field since I was a kid (oh, 50 years ago or so), but wish they tolerated the shotgun a bit better. Glad for you that you can hunt that country with your dogs - is that around Ontario, OR?

My dogs are a pleasure in the field, but alas my two Airedales have talked each other into being afraid of being shot over. My rat terrier could care less. But with all three, they have learned to leave deer and elk (and cattle) alone - nice, since it would be a tough conversation if I came home going less than 3 for 3. I used E-collars, and now rarely even have to use the tone. Normally, "this way", "stay close", "leave it", "go play" are all the instruction I have to give them, and generally just talk to them the whole time they are working (they will chase anything they can, but rabbits are their favorite). I've not had dogs this good in the field since I was a kid (oh, 50 years ago or so), but wish they tolerated the shotgun a bit better. Glad for you that you can hunt that country with your dogs - is that around Ontario, OR?
I'm in Montana hunting since Oct 20. Shot my deer already. Took about 3.5 hrs of hunting ... which is great because I'm a pheasant junkie.

My how fast the weather can change here! I typed the original post in the grocery store parking lot after a long day hunting in my shirtsleeves. Finished the thread, started my car, and noticed rain on the windshield. By the time I was back on the highway for the hour drive back to the trailer, rain turned to snow. Five miles down the road I was in a full blown whiteout blizzard. Could barely stay on the road in the fierce sidewind. Fortunately, the highway stayed warm enough to keep clear most of the way. Only required 4x4 for about the last ten miles. Snow wasn't deep but needed the extra traction to avoid jackknifing on slippery surface in the sidewind. Still snowing lightly this morning.

My how fast the weather can change here! I typed the original post in the grocery store parking lot after a long day hunting in my shirtsleeves. Finished the thread, started my car, and noticed rain on the windshield. By the time I was back on the highway for the hour drive back to the trailer, rain turned to snow. Five miles down the road I was in a full blown whiteout blizzard. Could barely stay on the road in the fierce sidewind. Fortunately, the highway stayed warm enough to keep clear most of the way. Only required 4x4 for about the last ten miles. Snow wasn't deep but needed the extra traction to avoid jackknifing on slippery surface in the sidewind. Still snowing lightly this morning.

With the colder weather, local marshes in NW Montana are freezing and starting to see more mallards along the creek bottoms.
Its nice as the roosters get harvested, more mallards moving in.

I used to take my great dane rabbit hunting. He'd kick up a rabbit and then chase it. He wasn't very graceful, but he was fast lol I never minded not getting shots, since I was really out there for him to have fun.

Idk boys I think my definition of control and manners might differ from what I see lots of guys posting about on this forum.
Control is control. They get to do what they want when they do what I want. That simple.
For instance come feed time, many dogs get wound up and bark. Nonsense. If they bark the food goes away. They stop it comes out. They keep barking they’ll starve to death but doesn’t take but a couple times and they realize, quickest way to eat is shut up.
I had 14 dogs not one would bark in the kennel for any reason except bears standing next to them. My UPS guy would back in and they’d seem uninterested.
No struggling to collar them wiggling,fighting all over a tailgate, same as w food. Fight me you don’t come. Pretty quick they understand. No jumping on anyone or anything. No chasing trash. Not even breaking a heel command to pee until I say it’s ok.
Gunshy is man made and can be fixed but it’s long and continual. If you want ideas let me know. None of it hard, actually simple and no it’s not forcing anything or torturing a dog.
Fellas dog training is like building a snowman. Very First thing you do is visualize what you want. Than you persist til you get it.
Go to a dog park. Look at all the dogs that don’t listen, the kids don’t either. Wonder why????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back