Dogs from a "non-breeder"

Runnin_Chupacabra

I know the most sure fire way to get a dog that is AKC certified for physical wellness is to get it through a breeder. I'm looking at getting my first hunting dog, a lab, for the (majority) duck hunting I do as well as upland bird hunting. In a perfect world I'd 100% would get one from a breeder but with the quotes I've gotten being over $1700, I'm not sure if I can financially swing that this year.

It sounds like it can be a crap shoot getting a pup from an alternative source. The lack of guarantee for long lasting hips and overall physical wellness is my greatest concern. Anyone have any experience with getting dogs from "non-breeders"?

I got my lab for $400. His parents had good bloodlines and the owner didn't want to go through the AKC registration process. He is the best hunting dog I've ever worked with. Do your due diligence, and it can be done.

Remember, labs are 90% house dogs and 10% hunting dogs. Adjust your spending as such!

I'm in a similar boat as Boomerusaf.....our current lab is 9 and is starting to slow down, but her hips are in great shape.

When I found the litter 9 years ago, I had the fortune of seeing both parents and even 3 out of 4 grand parents. All had no physical issues. I bought the pup and she has been a great dog.

Excellent on upland game. She is AKC, but nothing fancy in the bloodlines.

If you hunt around and talk to people, you can get a fine dog for not a lot of money.

The two best GSP I ever had were rescued from the pound. (So was the worst) The best lab I ever owned was a birthday gift from my wife. She bought him from my sister in law for $100. The second best lab, and only other lab, that is my present dog, I got for free from my sister because when she was a pup she played to rough with the foo foo dog my sister already had. So yah, maybe it is a bit of a crap shoot but what's the worst that can happen? You get a nice family pet.

$1700 might seem like a lot, but dogs with unknown bloodlines can carry more health issues, and vet bills can surpass that amount over time. I have a rescue lab/vizsla that was basically free but we’ve spent about $800 on tumors so far with more to go.

Shop around. Rescues with known genetics do become available - check out breed specific rescues, as well as local shelters, FB, word of mouth, etc.

Contact breeders as well and tell them you’re interested in discount pups. You might be surprised at what’s available. Dogs with one eye, missing leg, etc. you can get for free, or close to it. They won’t win any competitions, but can be a loyal pet and a great hunting companion nonetheless.

I got my lab and his brother for $200 through a friend of a friend. Both are amazing fetchers and house dogs. I had to get rid of the yellow because my rottweiler tried to kill him when one of my females went into heat, but I still have the black. He's a little high strung sometimes, and takes up more than his portion of the bed, but so far there's been no health or joint issues. I don't hunt him, but I don't really hunt birds or waterfowl, but he is a fetching fool when we play. The only reason he isn't AKC is because of a dispute between the husband and wife that bred his father and then divorced and the wife wouldn't give the husband the AKC paperwork for the father of my litter. I have a buddy that got a lab/pitt mix from a pound that is an absolute hunting and blood tracking fool. I think dogs are a crap shoot no matter where you get them from.

I got Boomer for $1k, what's your budget?

His dad is highly ranked, actually the highest for a chocolate lab in the AKC and UKC hunt tests. I got him for cheaper as the sire produced a littler of 9 males and the majority people wanted females (to breed the bloodline).

He had great test results with eyes, elbows and hips as well as EIC and CNM. However... Boomer gets some gnarly skin rashes as well as ear/toe infections due to food allergies and has blown both ACLs, (ACLs could have just been dumb luck, I really don't know how or why the first one happened)

Poor dog, amazing dog and a phenomenal hunter with a lot of drive but even great high dollar bloodline won't keep you from running into health concerns.

I guarantee if you look around you can find a good dog from a breeder for less than $1700. A lot of those high priced kennels are catering to the field trial set, which is almost as bad as the show set IMO. The average hunter does not need a dog with rockstar field trial pedigree. There are plenty of kennels that breed excellent hunting/family companions with all the health certifications for a more reasonable price. You might just have to look a little harder to find them.

Our dog is a hound/lab mix, from the shelter. Got some age to him now but he is a tracking machine. Found 2 deer my son had gut shot and we had about given up on. Very smart and a good family pet. No doubt my next one will be from the shelter as well.
Our shelter has a web page to check out their new arrivals. Also have a fenced yard to take em out for a test run.
Good luck in your search.

$1700 might seem like a lot, but dogs with unknown bloodlines can carry more health issues, and vet bills can surpass that amount over time. I have a rescue lab/vizsla that was basically free but we’ve spent about $800 on tumors so far with more to go.

Shop around. Rescues with known genetics do become available - check out breed specific rescues, as well as local shelters, FB, word of mouth, etc.

Contact breeders as well and tell them you’re interested in discount pups. You might be surprised at what’s available. Dogs with one eye, missing leg, etc. you can get for free, or close to it. They won’t win any competitions, but can be a loyal pet and a great hunting companion nonetheless.
Long term vet bills is a valid point.

All great information. Really appreciate it. I'll continue to grind through websites and talk to many people to see what I can come across. Appreciate all the feedback!

PS. I wish the dog in my bio pic was mine ;)

Try to connect with a local retriever club, they can point you toward some good dogs with small breeders that you wont find websites for likely. My pointing lab that just turned a year I payed 800 for, he was a fairly good deal, but he came from a small 2 dog breeder from northeast montana. I actually found him in the newspaper and after reviewing the bloodlines and a long phone call, decided to get one of his pups. I also got a male, which usually are cheaper and easier to get, which is great when you prefer males. He is only my second dog, but he is incredibly smart and easy to train. If you were closer I would point you in their direction, they had a litter about a month ago.

I've done it both ways. Backyard breeder and "professional" breeder. Granted, my dogs have all been Rottweilers, but breed doesn't matter. I have had great dogs from both. I tend to lean towards a knowledgeable breeder. But, good dogs can be had from breeders that don't charge a ton for bloodlines. mtmuley

I’ve seen good labs from high price registered breeders down to the$100 pups you can get from the guys who’s dog had an unplanned litter and everywhere in between. Bad ones too. The biggest thing to me personally is knowing the health of the parents and what kind of hunters they are. It’s no guarantee, but if mom and dad have the hunting drive and don’t have hip or other issues, you increase odds of a good pup. Similar to how most really good athletes come from really good athletes. Also, you don’t need to spend $1700 for a great lab, but if you find one for sub $1000 that you really like, it’s really not that much when you think of a companion you’ll hopefully have for 10+ years.

Couldn’t agree more with fowl punishment, retriever clubs are a gold mine of knowledge, good people and “ins” for a great pup. Some of the best breeders don’t overprice dogs but are very picky on selling to a good person that will treat the dog right and will work the dog for what it is bred for. My youngest dog has a bloodline that should have cost me a couple grand and been on a two year waiting list, but the right people made the right phone calls. I’m out of the hunt test game with young kids now but the two retriever clubs I belonged to and trained with taught me more about dogs and training than I could ever have imagined.

our brit lab was 800 from a reputable breeder; our first dog and if I were you, I would go with a reputable breeder. Its a gamble to go with a with a home breeder and a Clist dog as far as drive goes. You may get one with a good bird drive and you may not. but for 1700 thats a hell of alot to gamble but maybe CA has higher prices. Point is, the time and money you invest in your pup, its worth going to a reputable breeder; good luck and have fun~!

Something to provide you relief, is that hip dysplasia has decreased steadily over the last decade. The caveat is torn ccls have increased. That is an obstacle you can overcome!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back