Caribou Gear

Dog ate entire spike

pddubs

Just a bit off topic, but have not been able to find out much info on this....

I came home from long day of work today, have always had my antlers out and my dog has never touched them. She is a 30 lb springer spaniel. Right away I noticed one of my spikes, eaten down to about 4 inches left from over 16 inches. This was a strange spike, very dark and "bled" for a couple days after bringing it home. The section she chewed/ate (there were no scraps of pieces, the whole 12+ inches were gone) but the section left showed an extremely hollow, blood colored inside of the shed. Not at all like bone.

Is there any chance this thing was killed or shed in velvet and never hardened? It is interesting of the 40+ antlers laying on the ground she picked the only one like this. Just worried about a big vet bill or worse...anyone with any experience please let me know what you think, it is really appreciated.

They sell antlers in stores for dogs to chew on so I doubt you'll have any trouble

X2 We had a Golden Retriever up at the camp in KY that would Steal a leg and eat the entire contents hooves and all in less then 5 minutes. I was always worried about him, but he never had an issue. My cousin said he had been doing it since he was a puppy. He didn't want anything but a deboned leg.

Well after 5 of the largest dumps ive ever seen all in one day....... and they were like balls of rock....she seems to be fine. Good to know they can handle 'em!

I give our dogs antlers for chews all the time. Deer and elk! I cut say elk into 6 inch pieces roughly. The dogs love them, they last a long time, and they are good for them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back