Leupold Banner

Do you point blank zero your rifles ?

Do you use "point blank" to zero you rifles?

• Yes always

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Only hunting rifles

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Never heard of it

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters

TrumpkinTheDwarf

My body is in Texas, but home is the Big Sky count
I don't get the fuss about dialing a scope if you aren't shooting past 400 yards... Just seems like one more thing that can go wrong. Now, I'm happy to being corrected here, but my 30-06AI shoots a 168 gr TTSX somewhere near the 3k fps mark. With that load I can zero for 300 yards, have a 14" drop or so at 400, and just remember to aim a little low in close. That's murder on big game with a nice light 3x9 scope.

Totally open to being convinced otherwise, but I've killed a lot of deer right in that 250-350 yard range. Just happens to be the range I get shots at where I hunted back in MT.

JT13

I hate dialing turrets

I use some variation of 1.5" - 2.5" high at 100 yards for all my rifles. Generally end up with a zero around 225 yards. Very little thought required out to 300 yards and about 12 inches of Kentucky windage to 400 yards. The 100 yard zero makes very little sense to me unless you're the neck shooting type or like twisting turrets

N2TRKYS

I have multiple rifles and this is the perfect setup for it. No wasting time dialing during hunting situations that would cause me to miss out on a shot.

Mustangs Rule

I use Burris with ballistic plex and it works for me.
A 3-9 Burris with a Ballistic Plex reticle is one very reliable and functional scope. Many hunters do not like how the back end must turn to change power. I get that, but I also get that it has one less "O ring" and therefore is simpler in design.

I have them on two rifles, my Kimber 280AI and my model 70 6.5x55.

Back to the question posed in this post.. Nearly all my hunting rifles I have set up with two different reloads.

For example in my 280AI I have a 140 grain Barnes TTSX siighted in for just under 3 " at 100 yards. This is a tack driver

Next, by playing with different powders, which shift POI, I also have a 160 grain round nosed Lapua Naturalis sighted in to be be very close to being dead on at 50 to 100 yards.

Again, I do this with all rifles, when possible. Sometimes I just does not work but usually I end up with a longer range flatter shooting lighter bullet with higher BC and Velocity, and a slower heavier round nosed bullet that shoots dead or close to it up close.

If I am hunting in the thick stuff the round nosed bullet in my chamber.

If a game animal offers a shot further away, the spitzer bullet is right on top of my magazine.

Don Fischer

I have been using MPBR for many years now. I don't shoot past 300 yds and only done that once in my life just to say I did it. Big game rifles get zeroed at an 8" target and varmint rifles at a 4" target. All my big game rifles will hit no more than 9" low at 300 yds.

Beanland_fan

How many here use a rangefinder to determine if you’re under the prescribed 300 yards, or if you’re actually at 301 or 302?

I zero at 100 and dial. IMO If you have time to use a rangefinder, you usually have time to twist turrets.

DamascusSteel

I have considered this with my rifles this year but once the data is plugged in my MPBR would be like 227 or 218yds something weird, so i figured 200 yds is good enough. my 300 WSM is 1.5 in high at 100 and .5 in high at 200 so it would be the closest to MPBR for a 4in target which is what I aimed for in the calculator.

VikingsGuy

I used to use it, but now that I shoot more I tend to zero at 200y and get additional actual drop data at 100y, 300y and 400y to verify my drops (425y is my current self imposed hunting max).

JustinsDad

I don't get the fuss about dialing a scope if you aren't shooting past 400 yards... Just seems like one more thing that can go wrong. Now, I'm happy to being corrected here, but my 30-06AI shoots a 168 gr TTSX somewhere near the 3k fps mark. With that load I can zero for 300 yards, have a 14" drop or so at 400, and just remember to aim a little low in close. That's murder on big game with a nice light 3x9 scope.

Totally open to being convinced otherwise, but I've killed a lot of deer right in that 250-350 yard range. Just happens to be the range I get shots at where I hunted back in MT.
You don’t need a ballistic rangefinder nor do you need to dial the turrett of your scope if you only shoot 400 yards or less. Just use holdover and you’ll be close enough on big animals. If you want to shoot anything at 900 yards you need both a ballistic rangefinder and dial system on the turrett to be accurate at different temperatures and elevations. The difference in drop between say 850 yards and 950 yards is huge compared to the difference in drop between 100 and 400 yards. Same on barametric pressure and temp. It doesn’t change it much at 300 or 400 yards but at 1000 yards it’s a world of difference.

Last edited:

ImBillT

What is your load work up for the .280ai? I Get 2875fps
N560, and a 27” barrel are part of it. That said I think that N565, or RL-26 would almost certainly net a little more velocity as would Lapua brass, although RWS isn’t that far behind. Norma/Nosler brass can’t handle much pressure. Additionally, brass hardens a little bit when you fire it, and since I didn’t start with 280AI brass, but instead fireformed my brass, it was a little harder than factory when I started load development.

Side note: I’ve been disappointed in the lack of temperature stability of N560. I didn’t realize that VV didn’t consider it temp stable the way they do N565.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CruiserBill