Dirty Water/ Gummed Up Filter

TexAg09

Hey guys, on my last scouting trip I came across a seep not far from our planned camping area in red dirt Utah. The only thing is that the water is really dirty and gummed up my Katadyn Hiker Pro pretty quickly. While this is not our only water option it is a lot better than dropping down into a canyon and getting it from a spring. I dug the seep out as much as I could in hope that it will help settle some of the dirt out for when we come back in the fall. I'm just afraid of getting a stopped up filter on a day 2 of a 6 day hunt. Is there anything I can do to help prolong my filter, or the MSR Gaurdian is on sale at REI right now. Should I just go with the Guardian since it automatically back washes the filter as it pumps? Any tips or advice is appreciated.

I have the guardian and love it. It is expensive, but extremely reliable and able to withstand freezing and drops while also giving me peace of mind that the water is safe to drink.

The guardian also pumps very fast and can fill my water bottle in less than a minute. When you are done using it for the year be sure to clean it out at home which is easily done per the included instructions.

I did an analysis recently and decided the guardian was best for me as it also does not require any batteries like the UV purifiers which other than my headlamp is my goal to not rely on any electronics while in the field.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back