PEAX Equipment

Diesel programmers and exhaust

Addicting

I have a 2014 Duramax and am wondering what recommendations or experience you have with programmers and mountain towing.

Completely stock truck pulls 4-5k like it’s not even there. Moving up to 8-9k camper.

My two gripes about the truck are:

It doesn’t get the greatest mileage 14.5 around town and 11 pulling 4.5k to Eastern Wyoming and back.

Truck pedal is very sluggish, makes you wonder if your actually going to be able to pass someone or not when you step on it.

Goal would be to increase mileage and throttle response. Let me know what you think.

raceME- Ultra Been using it for the last 125,000 miles. No issues.

2016 2500 Cummins got 26.7MPG on my last trip to Virginia.

I have a 2014 Duramax and am wondering what recommendations or experience you have with programmers and mountain towing.

Completely stock truck pulls 4-5k like it’s not even there. Moving up to 8-9k camper.

My two gripes about the truck are:

It doesn’t get the greatest mileage 14.5 around town and 11 pulling 4.5k to Eastern Wyoming and back.

Truck pedal is very sluggish, makes you wonder if your actually going to be able to pass someone or not when you step on it.

Goal would be to increase mileage and throttle response. Let me know what you think.
The sluggish pedal may be some kind of torque management. I about got t boned in my ram 2500 once because the dang thing wouldn't get up and go

I ran a H&S tuner on my 6.4 liter diesel back in 2008-2013. We were pulling a 13,000 empty fifth wheel.

I deleted the DPF, ran a S&B cold air intake and the H&S. Mileage went from 11-12 while pulling the fiver to 12-13. Basically all it did was eliminate the DPF regen which burned an extra gallon or two of fuel.

It did however make that truck an absolute beast when it came to having a heavy right foot. Good lord was that truck fast. Scary fast.

I sold the 6.4 and purchased a 2013 F250 with the 6.2 gas and ordered the 4.3 rear end. Pulled the fiver all over the country with that truck. 10 mpg pulling and yes the hills were a bit tougher, but the lack of MPG didn't really bother me when costed more.

wow thats terrible my 08 f250 with the v10 does better then that. That DEF regen is a real pain

I haven't looked into it too much but didn't the EPA crack down hard on places that sell the parts needed to do this?
Probably, can't have everyone ignore idiotic regs put forth by the crown.

Appreciate the response, but it doesn’t help much without the why.

Eliminating the regen fuel consumption, quirks with regen cycles that limit performance depending on how it is implemented, and just general issues that pop up with those systems. One of the Dodges used by the maintenance crew would, on a monthly basis, throw a code related to the DEF/DPF system and enter limp mode - requiring it to be taken to the dealer an hour away at 45 mph. They could never eliminate whatever was causing this, and after a delete it has been running like a champ for years now.

If you live where there is no vehicle inspection go ahead and delete. On the other hand you would be surprised at how many posts on a couple of diesel forums I frequent start with
"my truck is deleted and tuned and now I'm having such and such problems ".
Just be aware if you happen to get caught, the fines from the EPA can be very substantial.
Here is the specific fine from the EPA if you are caught with DPF delete:

Violators are subject to civil penalties up to $45,268 per non-compliant vehicle or engine, $4,527 per tampering event or sale of the defeat device, and $45,268 per day for reporting and recordkeeping violations.

DEF delete vendors are getting hammered and giving up their customers lists. I would stay away from that - the tractor forum I use had a lot of bravado until some members got hammered - now they are pretty quiet.

DEF delete vendors are getting hammered and giving up their customers lists. I would stay away from that - the tractor forum I use had a lot of bravado until some members got hammered - now they are pretty quiet.
I don’t plan on deleting it, but I sure wouldn’t mind if there was a way to turn it wayyy down. To me it seems to go thru a lot of DEF and it ain’t cheap.

I ran a H&S tuner on my 6.4 liter diesel back in 2008-2013. We were pulling a 13,000 empty fifth wheel.

I deleted the DPF, ran a S&B cold air intake and the H&S. Mileage went from 11-12 while pulling the fiver to 12-13. Basically all it did was eliminate the DPF regen which burned an extra gallon or two of fuel.

It did however make that truck an absolute beast when it came to having a heavy right foot. Good lord was that truck fast. Scary fast.

I sold the 6.4 and purchased a 2013 F250 with the 6.2 gas and ordered the 4.3 rear end. Pulled the fiver all over the country with that truck. 10 mpg pulling and yes the hills were a bit tougher, but the lack of MPG didn't really bother me when costed more.
I have a quirk where I have to drive every vehicle I own as fast as it will go just to see. After I deleted my ‘14 Duramax because of def repairs, I took it out set up at max power and the speed limiter off just to see. I stopped @ 140, 9000# truck in work trim on a bad road was enough for me. The only one I’ve owned that I won’t know the max 😬.

I don’t plan on deleting it, but I sure wouldn’t mind if there was a way to turn it wayyy down. To me it seems to go thru a lot of DEF and it ain’t cheap.
A 2.5 gallon jug of DEF at Wallyworld is only $7.88. Been using the cheapo stuff for over 2 years now and there is no difference between it and the $18.85 "premium" Blue DEF.
I just towed the TT about 1200 miles and the truck only used about 2 gallons.

Be sure to post your opinion...
I’ve had it installed for a day and I think it would’ve been money better spent to just go ahead and buy a tune. It makes a noticeable difference in the driving RPM range but off idle it’s still sluggish. I can’t tell the difference between the city and sports modes. Also it doesn’t work with the cruise on which a tune would.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back