MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Delorme inReach: SE vs. Explorer

Colberjs

Anybody have any suggestions on which one to get? I was wanting to take advantage of BassPro's 6-pay promotion and free shipping and figured it would be a good time to get one but they only have the SE. Do you think the added features of the Explorer are worth the extra $80? It looks like there would still be a need for a regular GPS with onXmaps so I'm not sure I need the other features. But I would like to not have to carry three devices (phone, GPS, inReach) in the field.

Here is a screenshot of the comparison on the Delorme website:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 1,398
Thanks for your reply, Cush. That is the logic I'm leaning towards right now but was hoping I could get some more opinions before I pull the trigger in case there is something I'm not considering.

The Explorer adds waypoint, route, etc. abilities but this is what the screen looks like:

inreach_explorer_screen_03.gif

After the last InReach vs Spot thread here, I conceded and returned the Spot I purchased at 50% off.

I love my OnXMaps for MT and that works with my Garmin Rino 530HCx.

Though have no specifics to back this up, I do not believe the InReach Explorer has the capability to work with any property identification mapping such as OnXMaps.

With this in mind, I now have the InReachSE.

Got the SE last year and it works great. Texting without being bluetooth is a bit of a chore. But everything else runs great, battery life is 9 or so days. I still carry my phone and GPS, the SE is just for non cell service areas and texting home to check-in AND the potential oh shit moment.

I would be curious if the OnXmaps work in the InReach? From what I understood OnX only worked in Garmins. That would be great if they do!

I would be curious if the OnXmaps work in the InReach? From what I understood OnX only worked in Garmins. That would be great if they do!

It does not. If it did, the Explorer would be a great option. As it is, I will still carry a GPS. I purchased the Explorer last fall and have yet to use the additional features.

With cell phone reception so poor across the Western US I can understand how it would be nice having an InReach for emergencies...especially when hunting alone in remote areas. On my last trip to Alaska I used a Spot. I checked in at the end of each day by hitting the ok button that relayed my exact GPS location to friends and family. I've been pretty spooked the last few years without one and am likely going to pick up an InReach before this year's Alaska trip. It would be nice to be able to text while in remote areas where a cell phone doesn't work.

I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before OnXmaps, GPS, camera/video, and texting is all combined in 1 unit!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before OnXmaps, GPS, camera/video, and texting is all combined in 1 unit!

That would be incredible. I'm sure it will happen but I won't be able to afford it until it's been out a while. LOL

I ordered the SE last night. Can't wait to get it.

I'm assuming you mean and the ability to send an SOS signal as everything else you listed is already available in a single unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back