Delete thread, I'm an idiot

trb

I would like to preface this question by saying I have never shot a ML, and all I know about them is from online research I have done.

For a variety of reasons, I am looking to get into ML seasons for elk in my home state of Colorado. I called the one guy in my family who hunts, my uncle, for advice in buying my first one. He is getting older, and upgraded to a newer TC, so he offered me his .45 cal CVA Optima for free (I'm visiting him around New year's so I would fly home with it). It has a scope on it so I'd have to put on open sights for CO. Do those with experience see anything wrong with this plan that I'm not thinking of? As I'm in grad school right now it's really hard to say no to a free rifle. Any ethical objections to .45 cal vs .50 for elk?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I would like to preface this question by saying I have never shot a ML, and all I know about them is from online research I have done.

For a variety of reasons, I am looking to get into ML seasons for elk in my home state of Colorado. I called the one guy in my family who hunts, my uncle, for advice in buying my first one. He is getting older, and upgraded to a newer TC, so he offered me his .45 cal CVA Optima for free (I'm visiting him around New year's so I would fly home with it). It has a scope on it so I'd have to put on open sights for CO. Do those with experience see anything wrong with this plan that I'm not thinking of? As I'm in grad school right now it's really hard to say no to a free rifle. Any ethical objections to .45 cal vs .50 for elk?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Read the regulations. I believe you are required to use a 50 cal or larger for elk here.

Reactions: trb
Damnit, my bad. I looked at a past years info by mistake that said .45 was the minimum.
No worries. You can still hunt deer with the 45 cal in CO. I don’t own one, but the 50 cal CVA Wolf rifles seem to be good shooters and are less than $200.

Reactions: trb
No worries. You can still hunt deer with the 45 cal in CO. I don’t own one, but the 50 cal CVA Wolf rifles seem to be good shooters and are less than $200.

I have been seriously considering one, but didn't know if the 24" barrel led to seriously decreased accuracy. With open sights I'd be hoping for a 100 yds or less opportunity, and I've seen on another thread users report a 3" group at 100. Seems like that would be a solid option. Thanks for the recommendation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back