Day-Packs/Gear belts.... What do you use?

Bombsnbullets

It seems like every year at the end of each big game season, I tell myself that I need to figure out a better way to cut down weight on my day-pack system. I typically use a Mystery Ranch 6500 or Crew Cab to pack my camp in, and have been using the "lid" day-pack during the day. I have found this to be effective to cut down weight but it is pretty uncomfortable (shoulder rub). This year I have decided to switch primarily to a gear belt, which will allow majority of my gear weight to sit on my hips instead of shoulders. Of course, I will still need a day-pack to carry some of the larger items like water, game bags, medkit, etc. but it wont be as heavy on my shoulders. It will also allow me to drop my pack to make a stalk. I am constantly making changes and tweaks to my load-out, so if you have a system that works, I would love to hear about it/see pics. My belt is currently setup to carry:
-Carabiner with rolling point
-Glock w/extra mag
-Multitool
-Benchmade Fixed Blade
-Expandable Pouch
-Gear Pouch (headlamp, xtra batts, wind detector, extra rifle rounds, etc.)
-Bear Spray
-Range Finder

EDIT:
It seems I need to point out that this setup is intended to supplement my pack, not replace it. No it does not make your pants fall down. In fact, when used correctly... a belt does a pretty good job doing the opposite.

Attachments

• Belt 1.JPG
    Belt 1.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 34
  • Belt 2.JPG
    Belt 2.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
That’s a pretty thought out belt setup man.
Just curious. Why not just run the crew cab with only your necessities and cinch it all down compact once you drop camp? I find I prefer to have a bit of a bigger daypack than most though.

I just put everything in my pack. Even bowhunting I find I rarely drop my pack. I have absolutely no interest in carrying all that weight on a belt.

That’s a pretty thought out belt setup man.
Just curious. Why not just run the crew cab with only your necessities and cinch it all down compact once you drop camp? I find I prefer to have a bit of a bigger daypack than most though.
So I have definitely tried dropping gear and using the pack, but the pack I use for bp hunting weighs 9.9lbs empty. Start adding a water bladder, kill kit, and rain gear and it gets heavy really quick. Its definitely doable, but I like being able to cover tons of ground every day and a heavy pack can make that miserable IMO.

I just put everything in my pack. Even bowhunting I find I rarely drop my pack. I have absolutely no interest in carrying all that weight on a belt.
What kind of pack do you use? Most packs are designed to distribute weight to the hips via kidney straps

Without getting into preference which is totally an individual thing (so many things are a factor including where you hunt/spend time in the outdoors, how you hunt and whether you spend time alone in the outdoors or with partners or partner). I would have to say I 2nd your thought on carrying all that stuff on a belt (heavy and uncomfortable). With todays Bino Harness's and small day packs with internal frames I find it hard to see a belt setup like this as being practical (I am not knocking it as I see it being viable for certain scenarios). I do however believe in carrying my side arm on a leg holster and I support this reasoning by stating that I do not always have my pack on me whether It be off my back when visiting the backcountry mud hole or sitting in a blind or while tracking or gutting an animal. Leg holsters just make sense (they don't get in the way, are extremely comfortable and keep your side arm on you at all times when in wolf/cat/bear country). They keep your side arm with you while on an ATV or in a truck when your pack is not on your person. A belt with side arm would make me a bit uncomfortable with a side arm on it while sitting in a truck/ATV or even in a stand.

On that note I have two day packs, both of which have frames, both of which are about 2000cu in. (I will never own another pack, day pack or overnight without a frame. "lessons learned over the years"). If it doesn't have a frame it doesn't matter how fancy, $$$$ or how many features it has. I personally just won't purchase it. I alway have my binocular harness on me which carries not only my binoculars but small emergency items (Bino harness's in my eyes have been one of the biggest game changers in hunting gear over the last 40 years). I try Never to leave my pack if I can help it but we all know that certain scenarios require separating your pack from your person (sitting in a stand/blind or tree stand, spot and stock situation or during travel on an ATV/truck to and from an area). I am a firm believe that certain safety and emergency items should never leave your person while in the field and I try very hard to keep those things either in my leg holster or binocular harness which are on my person regardless of situation. The truth is that even when a pack is next to you or hanging in a tree stand close, time can be the difference between an unforeseen life and death situation (primarily when it comes to predators such as Cats and Wolf's). Several years back I found myself in a natural ground blind, only to realize I had a cat sneaking in on me at 60 yards when I noticed. Talk about a. "hair raising experience". With side arm in hand I watched this cat contemplate me for 5 minutes before it was too much for me to take before I scared it off.

Anyway, my .02 on pack/belt/sidearms and carrying ideas.

I am not sure the style of hunting you do, but for me it seems like some overkill, and isn't going to help you much if you kill an elk. I use a Metcalf pack like JLS, mostly because having the ability to put a load of meat on my back is important to me. I usually leave camp in the morning and am not going back until after dark. I don't carry a ton of gear: water, food, kill kit, puffy coat, tripod, survival/med kit. It is also nice to be able to strap your bow/rifle onto it sometimes.

I have used a gunfighter setup like you have for work, and it is good for somethings (IE: Assaulting), but I never used one patrolling. I would waaayyy rather have the weight in the backpack (evenly distributing the weight between my shoulders/hips). That just looks like it would be tugging on your pants all day long. If you are looking to carry some extras with you on your approach, look at one of the bigger bino harnesses, like the Alaska Guide Creations. You can throw most of that stuff you have on the belt in there.

If I have a pistol on me, it is on the waist belt of my pack and my bear spray is on my bino harness.

What's the dump pouch for?

Leg holsters just make sense (they don't get in the way, are extremely comfortable and keep your side arm on you at all times when in wolf/cat/bear country). They keep your side arm with you while on an ATV or in a truck when your pack is not on your person. A belt with side arm would make me a bit uncomfortable with a side arm on it while sitting in a truck/ATV or even in a stand.

As long as you aren't planning on walking any distance with it on.... I have literally a couple of years worth of days with a Safariland ALS leg holster (least annoying model I tried), and the second I would have to walk any distance I threw my pistol on my chest rig.

I am not sure the style of hunting you do, but for me it seems like some overkill, and isn't going to help you much if you kill an elk. I use a Metcalf pack like JLS, mostly because having the ability to put a load of meat on my back is important to me. I usually leave camp in the morning and am not going back until after dark. I don't carry a ton of gear: water, food, kill kit, puffy coat, tripod, survival/med kit. It is also nice to be able to strap your bow/rifle onto it sometimes.

I have used a gunfighter setup like you have for work, and it is good for somethings (IE: Assaulting), but I never used one patrolling. I would waaayyy rather have the weight in the backpack (evenly distributing the weight between my shoulders/hips). That just looks like it would be tugging on your pants all day long. If you are looking to carry some extras with you on your approach, look at one of the bigger bino harnesses, like the Alaska Guide Creations. You can throw most of that stuff you have on the belt in there.

If I have a pistol on me, it is on the waist belt of my pack and my bear spray is on my bino harness.

What's the dump pouch for?
So I probably should've clarified in the original post, but this belt is only to supplement my pack. I prefer having weight on my hips, and I have not had any issues with it affecting my pants staying up. As far as the type of hunting I do, it is a lot of hiking. I tend to cover about 10 miles a day during elk season. The dump pouch is on there because I use this general setup for some other applications. Also with holster placement, I would recommend watching Joe Rogan's interview with Remi Warren about a bear attack on Afognak Island in Alaska. It is a pretty good example of why not having essentials on your person could mean life or death in Bear country.

Last edited:
The dump pouch is on there because I use this general setup for some other applications.

I suspected so... Kit is definitely a lot of personal preference. For me keeping my hips unencumbered when covering ground makes it a much better experience. I don't even like much stuff in my pockets....

I suspected so... Kit is definitely a lot of personal preference. For me keeping my hips unencumbered when covering ground makes it a much better experience. I don't even like much stuff in my pockets....
This is a little bit of an experiment, so definitely nothing I can swear by. Ill post an update after Spring Bear to see if things have changed. I am definitely used to having weight on my hips, so for me it makes sense. But again, time will tell if this will work for hunting

I tend to cover about 10 miles a day during elk season.

My total gear load is between 35-45lb depending on how much water and food I need to carry and whether it's rifle or archery season. I cover a similar number of miles and carry everything the entire time. I just like being able to stop wherever I ended up that day and pull out my sleeping bag and go to bed.

Honestly it's a preference thing, if that's what works for you good deal.

Looks like a good setup. I like the redundancy you have with the extra mag and additional knife. Ive tried duty belts and lumbar packs in addition to smaller daypacks. However, I have decided I would rather have more options and carrying comfort at the expense of additional weight. I too keep a sidearm on the hip belt of the pack 90% of the time. I will carry a thigh rig on occasion as well.

As long as you aren't planning on walking any distance with it on.... I have literally a couple of years worth of days with a Safariland ALS leg holster (least annoying model I tried), and the second I would have to walk any distance I threw my pistol on my chest rig.

Funny, I have never had an issue with this. I spend over 70 days a year in the field, literally hiked 21 miles during my two week Sept. hunt last season which doesn't include the miles and miles of hunting, scouting throughout the year and have never had a problem. I am not a big guy and don't carry a large side arm. This may have something to do with it. I am sure this is a problem for some but I have never had this problem and it is a legitimate concern. Point well made.

Im sure there may be a "small man" joke coming my way :unsure:

As others have noted, personal preference is a probably a factor more than anything. I carry about 80% of the weight (minus the weapon) of my accessible gear on my chest. I find this spot gets in the way less than other areas of my body, and is easiest to access in different shooting/stalking positions. I distribute the remaining small non-urgent items in clothing pockets.

I find gear belts get in the way of weapon, trekking poles, rocks/trees, or when trying to sneak/hide when approaching game. Gear belts are great for activities where you are constantly accessing multiple tools (roofing, siding, etc.), or need to be able to access multiple different items as quickly as possible (like a raid or assault).

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back