Yeti GOBOX Collection

Day Pack Weight

idahofishnhunt

I'm curious what people are pushing for weight on their day packs...

...not including water or optics and tripod, food, because those could vary.

Let's just say your usual items to get by for the day, kill kit, clothes, first aid, gps, back up items, camera, phone, sitting pad, etc.

Feel free to add in with optics, and water though...but I would also like to hear just some base weights.

So last night I weighed mine with a litre of water, and spotting scope, and tripod and I was at 22.4 lbs. I really am pretty minimized on my stuff, and lightweight...at least in my opinion.

I think the spotter itself is about 3lbs, and the tripod is 2lbs...so if I don't take those then I'm down to about a 17 lb pack.

I am doing a 4 day hunt with varying weather conditions. 56lbs to base camp.
Take out 12 water bottles and my camp, clothes, food
5 Pack
8 Binos tripod spotter
1 chair
6 3lt water bladder
5 Misc (knive cleaning gloves, game bags, camera, headlamp, batteries, snacks)
25lb Total day weight

I weighed mine the other night and it was about 22 lbs. with a couple items that needed to be removed. I was trying to see what the total lack weight was on my way out because I had some extra special cargo on the pack out.

I'm Carrying a Badlands 2200 that comes in at 20 pounds.
That is packing a Mid season Jacket, 32 oz of Water, Game bags, Snacks, spotting scope and tripod.

My daypack varies in weight considerably depending when, where, and what I'm hunting. If I'm hunting antelope in Sept in Wyo I may only be carrying my tripod, spotter, and a knife. If I'm hunting sheep in Alaska I likely will be carrying a bunch of survival stuff, spotter, tripod, raingear, treking poles, bivy bag of some sort, extra food, water,...the list goes on. If I'm hunting late fall muledeer in Colo I will likely be carrying tripod, spotter, winter coat and other layers, surival kit, hat, gloves, raingear, etc.

I really don't think there is a simple answer to this because the weight of my daypack varies so much from 1 hunt to the next.

My daypack weight comes in right at 11lbs (see the items listed below) Depending on weather, terrain and the expected duration of the hunt, I will add in more food, clothing, optics and water as needed.

Pack: Seek Outside Unaweep 4800
Kill kit: Knives, saw, game bags, tarp, latex gloves, licenses, rope, ultralight front pack, flagging
First aid kit: meds, tape, bandaids, quick-clot, scissors, k-tape, etc.
Snack bag: 2 energy bars, 2 packs of energy blocks, 2 powdered drink mixes, 2 Gu packs
Water Filter: Sawyer Mini & Ziploc bag for scooping water
Extra Clothes: long underwear, synthetic puffy jacket, merino gloves, fleece gloves, merino zip T,
Sit Pad: Foam wrapped in Tyvek
Misc: Lipbalm, digital watch, Toilet Paper, 3 AAA batteries, headlamp

Hope this helps.

my pack weight with my new kuiu ikon pro 1850 pack is 14 lbs including ed-50 spotter and bog pod medium sized tri-pod base,,basic dayfood and basic hunt essentials.

Holy moly. I don't think I ever leave camp with 10 pounds in my pack.
This is essentially what I've had on my back for the past 2 months:
1 pint water - 1lb
1 life straw - 2 ounces
2 man emergency bivy - 6 ounces
4 snickers - 8 oz
misc candy and/or jerky - 8 oz
knife sharpener - 2 ounces
game bags - 2-8 oz depending on what I'm hunting
LED headlamp - 4 oz
latex gloves - 1 oz
125ft of microcord - 2 oz
backpack - 2lb

If I'm taking kids hunting, I add a bipod.
If I'm not hunting and just helping, I might bring a spotter or more likely my camera with a 100-400mm lens. In either case, these replace my gun.

The following are not in my pack, and they might put me over 10lbs in cooler weather.
Binos are on my chest.
leatherman in my pocket or on belt.
Smartphone in my pocket which has replaced my gps, camera, regulations, and backup flashlight.
I leave in the morning wearing the clothes I need. They go in the bag as it heats up and come back out as it cools in the evening.

Some of those weights...are pretty low, that's pretty good. I'm sure I might be able to trim down a little bit more...but not sure it would amount to much. Plus I have the bino's, and rangefinder on me that aren't in the pack.

As for replacing the GPS with the phone...I haven't gotten there yet. I still like to be able to set my waypoints, and also have waypoints I've put in and transferred from Google Earth...via the old OnXmaps you could add in as layers...one of the coolest things ever, and they got rid of it for the every lasting beta nonsense that still has not come to light.

I just weighed mine. Its about 16lbs.

Saw
Knife
100' paracord
Shell holder with 10 rounds
Headlamp
Extra batteries
2 lighters
Mountain money
Mini binoculars
Compact range finder
Stocking cap
Wool gloves
Wool hoodie
Lightweight Goretex jacket
Lightweight Goretext pants (I only bring this if rain is in the forecast)
Long john bottoms - vac packed
extra socks - vac packed
water bottle
snacks
compass
Phone / GPS
extra contact lenses
zip ties

My saw is the heaviest item.
We get a lot of rain here so I always bring dry layers.

after getting my kuiu pack,,i went for every ounce,,i bought a small scale and weighed everything,marked on each item its weight,,and really trimmed it down,,even drilling holes in my saw handle to reduce the weight...also that way ,you can alter items as antelope dayhunts need less items than an elk day hunt,ect,,,set up for elk its about 24 oz heavyer,,,and could gain more weight if you have to add jacket layers,ect.

Back