Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Daughters first bear

Muskeez

I'll try to keep this shorter than my ususal;
First bear tag in our family. Wouldn't have happened without this forum, met a guy on here 5-7 years ago and then met up in WY for antelope lessons from him. He took my girls cow elk hunting, he hunted deer with me in Iowa and now he took us bear hunting. His entire family has taken us in like we are brothers and sisters that don't fight :) Incredibly generous people!! Thank you O family!! Got to meet one of his best hunting buddies and his step daughter who also helped with baiting and his awesome family fed us more than once as well :) Thanks Mrs. F!! My daughter had a 1:30+ chance of drawing a random tag and got it with 0 points. We spent 3 days baiting and getting ATV's stuck in the snow which was still a blast. We traveled 8+ miles from the trailhead each day by foot and ATV. We sat 8 evenings for 5 hours each before she shot her bear. She had passed on it 3 days prior as there were bigger ones on the camera. She had a 3 second shot opportunity at a big one at last light one night but wasn't comfortable with the shot so she waited and it winded us and bolted. She decided to take this bear because of the big blonde patch on it's chest. She will get a half mount done to display it proper. What an adventure with incredible people that taught us a LOT about the mountains and all of it's critters. It took longer than expected but that just meant that I got to spend 2 weeks with my daughter who just happens to be my favorite huntn buddy :)

Thanks, she is one tough hunter gal. She doesn't look it but she is 23 yrs old now. She sat the entire time every evening with the gun on a monopod and the stock on her shoulder. Wanted to take zero chances of spooking one while getting the gun up. I told her she'd make a great sniper!

Great write up, pics, and always encouraging to see the best of how the HT community can work

Sounds like a fantastic adventure!

And it was made better with friends helping, and topped off with your daughter's success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back