CVA Optima & CCI 209M Primer Breach Problem

F

fwagner

Gun Specs:

CVA V2 Optima 50 cal
Blackhorn 209, 80 grains loads
No excuses 460 grain bullets
CCI 209M Primers

So, I have been working hard narrowing down a proper set up for Colorado muzzleloader season. I have been getting good results but after firing the gun the breach becomes hard to open from time to time. I called CVA and they says it's CCI primer, deforming and causing the jam. CVA said to stop using them but Blackhorn recommend them and I'm getting good accuracy. When it sticks I have to apply significant force to open the breach and remove the old primer. Any suggestions?

The CCI primers deform bad in my gun too but cause no issues. I've also used federal 209A primers and they ignite Blackhorn just fine.
Is your firing pin bushing shimmed????

Also, who's Blackhorn 209 breach plug do you use??

Gun Specs:

CVA V2 Optima 50 cal
Blackhorn 209, 80 grains loads
No excuses 460 grain bullets
CCI 209M Primers

So, I have been working hard narrowing down a proper set up for Colorado muzzleloader season. I have been getting good results but after firing the gun the breach becomes hard to open from time to time. I called CVA and they says it's CCI primer, deforming and causing the jam. CVA said to stop using them but Blackhorn recommend them and I'm getting good accuracy. When it sticks I have to apply significant force to open the breach and remove the old primer. Any suggestions?

That is something I've had happen quite often on a factory set up. They run loose "Head space" and therefore, when the powder goes off, it shoots the primer back into the firing pin bushing. Next time, hold the trigger back and then push forward on the hammer and you'll hear the primer pop out of the bushing slit.

You can also order these o rings, this bag will last you half a life time if you are only a week end shooter. Drop ONE down into the primer pocket. You will love the results.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k611/=rgsfbp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back