Caribou Gear Tarp

Crazies Drop Camp

brownbear932008

Hey guys I am looking at and have been researching into the Crazies for some time and I for the life of me can't find anyone that does drop offs in this range. I was wondering if any of you guys had any info in reference to this please just shoot me a PM if you would like with any info. I beat the brush up there two years ago with no luck too much snow already as I was hunting late and couldn't get to the area I wanted to start packing from so thought I would try another route and hunt earlier and possibly get a drop off to make things more manageable. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have picked up 7 elk tags in MT. and have yet to fill one they seem to elude me on every step. However I usually also have a deer tag that I waste a week trying to fill this year it's elk or nothing...... Thats my motto!:D

Can help with any info, but me and you seem to have the same 'luck' with elk. I can commiserate... ;)

Yeah 1 Pointer but I think if I concentrate my time on the elk maybe I can make something happen in there. And I def wouldn't mind to take a cow because they taste great and fill a freezer well.

I'm hoping to change my elk history as well this year. I have two tags now and am contemplating adding a third! Good luck this fall!!

Well after contacting MTFWP today about getting a leftover elk tag I'm not so sure I will be going. Seems they want me to pay the full price on the tag after I put in for draws earlier in the year and they have already kept a large portion of the tag fee after not drawing my permit. I think it was 20% and requesting a refund if not drawn on the permit. I just don't see how this is a fair shake so basically now the tag will cost me around $1,000. The $821 is way to steep already I guess they just don't wanna sell these tags or there would be a plan for cases as this?:confused: Is it just me? What do you guys think should I speak to someone else?

I wouldn't do it. What a rip off. Over a grand for a big MT bull elk hunt is insane. Apply in AZ or UT.

I personally would rather fight the crowds in CO. or pick up a tag in ID. or WY. that grand turns into 3 by the time the trip is over. So I won't don't worry. LOL

MT stinks

Will be back in 2 months to show you what that license in MT gets you on public, Gather your friends in WY or CO for a comparison, or even UT and AZ. Been a while since I've bumped into somebody while elk hunting in MT.

Attachments

• cameras.JPG
    cameras.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 533
Greenhorn Looks like you have those puppies doing your scouting for you already I suppose. Sorry if I came across wrong just kinda had a sore groin after talking with MTFWP yesterday finding they will charge me a full price for the elk tag after already taking $200 bucks from my previous app. I think they should credit you that fee already paid if you decide at a later date to get another tag. I would have kept the tag but I had several other applications out in other states so I decided to return it.
Sure hope the state comes up with some good changes soon it's gotten a little discouraging for NR's out there last several years.

I know MT. is hard to beat on public land opportunity along with good numbers and size. Been deer/elk hunting there since 1999 at least every other year. Well basically deer hunting the elk kick my ass, but I usually only have a day or two after the deer hunt to chase them. I have seen some good bulls out there while in the woods just not the right scenerio on taking one. Matter of fact seen some smokers over the years in the breaks but can't get that tag with rifle to save my life. Can't wait to see the game cam pics gets my blood flowing and cost me way too much money!:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back