Coyote rifle

1oldcoyote

I've used various shotguns & rifles on the coyotes over the yrs. Finding the best for what suited my needs in my form of hunting. Due to repeated Winters with crusty snow & ice covered snow. I finally settled on a long range rifle. Which is my 243 wssm AR. It doesn't kill coyotes any better than most firearms I've owned. But where it out shined them all. Was long distance accuracy. Due to the firearm itself & the bullet I used. Every Fall I would do a lot of long distance T-shooting. To get myself back in the groove.

I've used various shotguns & rifles on the coyotes over the yrs. Finding the best for what suited my needs in my form of hunting. Due to repeated Winters with crusty snow & ice covered snow. I finally settled on a long range rifle. Which is my 243 wssm AR. It doesn't kill coyotes any better than most firearms I've owned. But where it out shined them all. Was long distance accuracy. Due to the firearm itself & the bullet I used. Every Fall I would do a lot of long distance T-shooting. To get myself back in the groove.
If you need a set of rcbs dies let me know I bought them on accident. What load are you using?

An AR platform in .243 has been on my list of wants for a long time. 22-250 is what I use now and I love it. I've got a pair of them. I usually bring a 12 ga. Loaded with hevi-shot T for multiple dogs that are inside 80 yards. Would like to find some 000 for my 10 gauge for the same reason.

Just 22-250 for me the odd time I get a coyote in shotgun range I’ll just rifle it. Just as easy to shoot a running coyote at 80 yards vs 40 lol

My 2 primary predator guns are a 260 in a ar-10 and a 24" ar-15. ARs and yotes were made for each other!

Just 22-250 for me the odd time I get a coyote in shotgun range I’ll just rifle it. Just as easy to shoot a running coyote at 80 yards vs 40 lol
We have smaller fields around here where I coyote hunt, I've found that shotgun has paid dividends for me first time I packed I knocked down my first triple all down inside 90 yards. That was a rush!

If you need a set of rcbs dies let me know I bought them on accident. What load are you using?
Thanks for the offer Jeremys4. But I don't reload. Too much math for me ;) . I shoot factory 95gr Win Ballistic Tips. They slice through stout cross & quartering winds like butter.

We have smaller fields around here where I coyote hunt, I've found that shotgun has paid dividends for me first time I packed I knocked down my first triple all down inside 90 yards. That was a rush!

Wait till you get a thermal

I had one from Mike Milli at Dedicated Technologies. It was an absolute tack driver. Sold it and had mike make me a 6.8 SPC. It is my new go to coyote gun.

blacksheep

My fatgirl. I shoot prone mostly. Sometimes off hand. My farthest kill was 600yrds +/-. Sometimes I paint her white otherwise Earth tan.

Attachments

• f90kqpfy50goee10c9tga5i9euzmdz7h.jpg
    f90kqpfy50goee10c9tga5i9euzmdz7h.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
I love yote hunting because it feels low pressure. I usually use my 6.5, but I killed one 2 weekends ago with my new Bergara BMR 17hmr at 209 yards. I like mixing it up. I’m going to take my shotgun on my next hunt. What are everyone’s favorite loads? I’ve never hunted them in tight woods.

An AR platform in .243 has been on my list of wants for a long time. 22-250 is what I use now and I love it. I've got a pair of them. I usually bring a 12 ga. Loaded with hevi-shot T for multiple dogs that are inside 80 yards. Would like to find some 000 for my 10 gauge for the same reason.
Maybe consider 6mm ARC. Fits in the small frame AR and works really well.

For me , i lean towards the 25 caliber.
250 Savage
257 Roberts
257 Roberts AI
25 WSSM.

Team any one with the 90gr Sierra BlitzKing and coyotes to 400+ yards no problem.

I love yote hunting because it feels low pressure. I usually use my 6.5, but I killed one 2 weekends ago with my new Bergara BMR 17hmr at 209 yards. I like mixing it up. I’m going to take my shotgun on my next hunt. What are everyone’s favorite loads? I’ve never hunted them in tight woods.
Only shotguns I ever used on the canines were. 12ga 3" mag. 30, 32 & 36" barrel factory smoothbore FC. For fox I used BB, for coyotes I used 3 & 4 buffered Buckshot. I patterned my shotguns on 3/8 & 3/4" plywood at varying yardages. Where I would draw the line on max yardages were when they bored a hole in the 3/8" plywood & punched a ragged hole(splintering the backside) in the 3/4" plywood. I will say my 36" barrel Marlin goose gun. Had a far reach. Farther than most would shoot on a coyote. 3 Buck is a freight train on the coyotes.

Cattle ranchers in the sagebrush and rim rock country where I grew up mostly carried a 22 or 30-30 in their pickup truck. When a coyote heard a truck coming they mostly loped off to a few hundred yards and laughed at the ranchers. I came home around 1965 from college and the army with a second hand Remington 22-250. Life got a whole lot more difficult for the coyote population. Still have that old, battered rifle. Won’t sell it, ever.

Last edited:
Cattle ranchers in the sagebrush and rim rock country where I grew up mostly carried a 22 or 30-30 in their pickup truck. When a coyote heard a truck coming they mostly loped of to a few hundred yards and laughed at the ranchers. I came home in around 1965 from college and the army with a second hand Remington 22-250. Life got a whole lot more difficult for the coyote population. Still have that old, battered rifle. Won’t sell it, ever.
Good old memories. I get it. Thanks for your Service.

Back