Cow Hunt

kmachine19

Hi all,

WY decided to give me a cow tag, which I've never had before. I know that hunting cows and bulls early in the post rut period are very different, so does anyone have any points that they would be willing to share?

Since you are hunting the post rut, I would look for areas with a lot of food and water. Cows tend to try to fatten themselves up eating as much as they can before the harsh winter conditions come in so they should be in their winter feeding grounds around mid-October. You are likely to find the bulls have left the herd other than the young and a few satellite bulls. Not all cows will have bred believe it or not, so you might get some bugling still. This time of the year, too much bugling or cow calls might push them away. My strategy is talk if they talk, shut up if they aint talking and use cow calls only to stop them for a good shot.

Since you are hunting the post rut, I would look for areas with a lot of food and water. Cows tend to try to fatten themselves up eating as much as they can before the harsh winter conditions come in so they should be in their winter feeding grounds around mid-October. You are likely to find the bulls have left the herd other than the young and a few satellite bulls. Not all cows will have bred believe it or not, so you might get some bugling still. This time of the year, too much bugling or cow calls might push them away. My strategy is talk if they talk, shut up if they aint talking and use cow calls only to stop them for a good shot.
Thanks for the advice I really appriciate it @WyoDoug and @Carl 9.3x62

Zone will factor, some areas need snow to push elk in some areas by mid oct you cant access. Typically later is best but we always shot our cows first couple days of season as it aint very hard and that way snows dont screw us over. Pay attention to overlap seasons: bull tags, deer etc hunter can effect your hunt some zones have a window thats better to hunt before zone gets pressure. Best of luck

Except for the late hunts, sometimes cows can be kind of tough, depending on the country. I always liked late hunts in treeless areas of Wyoming, where the herds went to winter. My boys and I filled every tag (8) that we ever had in Colorado, too, but it was not as easy in the timber. If they have been pressured, they will go into the deep stuff and onto private land as fast, or faster than the bulls will..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back