Counter Assault Bear Fence

BlakeA

Any backpack hunters out there use this or another brand? I find myself running into a lion or a bear every year during day light hours which makes me wonder just when my night time encounter is going to take place. I'm hoping it is a solid product and looking for any reviews or opinions from my fellow hunt talkers. It looks like it weighs 15 lbs which just means I need to hit the gym and hills in the offseason just a little bit harder to compensate :)

Flatrock

I remember reading an article by Nate Simmons a few years ago about hunting bear country and he had packed in a fence like that. I thought I had written down in my notes what he used but I can't find it. Pretty sure the article was in Western/Elk Hunter so maybe you can track down that article as it had some good info in it.

Kaitum

I used an electric fence for work and play in Alaska all the time. I pieced together my own set up for 1/2 the cost of what one can be purchased for. I used a Dare Sentry DS140 charger, some poly wire, and white plastic fence posts with a 12" piece of copper pipe for a ground rod. I usually kept my raft, food, and whatever game I harvested in the fence and just set my tent up 75 yards away or so. They work great but aren't a substitute for not following other smart practices in bear country. Follow common sense and you'll be fine.

pawhitetail

I just saw an episode with nate in it putting up fence. All it looked like was orange poly fence. That being said you might be able to get a solar cattle fence charger, a small spool of wire and 4 step in poly posts and set up that way.

sbhooper

A fence is great if you want to pack It in. Bear spray is virtually 100 percent effective when deployed. I always carry it, even though most of the bears are asleep when I hunt.

Southern Elk

I have the one made by UDAP. It weighs less than 4 lbs. We set it up twice this year in grizzly country in MT. It works fine. It will help you sleep better at night.

privateer

Is it really going to zap a bear through their fur or will it only work if they nose the wire? (UDAP one)

I would think that a cat would just jump or crawl under the fence and be eating your liver before you noticed it...

Southern Elk

It works just like a livestock fence. They are shocked through their fur, so I don't see why it wouldn't be the same with bear.

mixedbag

Used one on my caribou hunt with another hunt talker and made sleeping easier at night.Esp after having a grizz run into camp first evening and then watching another bigger bear eating my caribou gut pile.If I'm in bear country the fence is a necessity if just for piece of mind

Sitka Banner

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kuhndog