MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Copyright/Patent on Intellectual Property

smalls

Say you have a great business idea, but you don't have the technical expertise to implement this idea into reality. At what point does your "idea" qualify for patents or copyright protection? Technically is it a copyright or patent that one pursues for an "idea"?

Understanding that there is alot of factors, what's a rough cost of obtaining a patent/copyright?

I know there are some lawyer-types around here that could throw me a bone.

smalls

Document sign and date your invention disclosure and have a skilled attorney write submit a patent to the US patent and trademark office. You can submit a placeholder (provisional) patent that buys you some time for the actual submission. It might cost 10K (or more) and take 3 years before your patent issues, but your protection of the IP starts when you submit.

Copyright is something different. Any original expression of work can be protected by a copywright.. but from the sounds of it, you're looking for a patent.

Use Google and I bet you'll find out good details.

Document sign and date your invention disclosure and have a skilled attorney write submit a patent to the US patent and trademark office. You can submit a placeholder (provisional) patent that buys you some time for the actual submission. It might cost 10K (or more) and take 3 years before your patent issues, but your protection of the IP starts when you submit.

Copyright is something different. Any original expression of work can be protected by a copywright.. but from the sounds of it, you're looking for a patent.

Use Google and I bet you'll find out good details.

Seeing as there is no invention, no "doohickey" if you will, does this apply to an idea that would manifest itself no more physically than computer software to facilitate the transaction as well?

Back