Considering investing in a pair of gaiters, are they worth it?

pre6422hornet

I have been religiously wearing gaiters anytime outside in the woods, regardless of weather or seasons since 1998. They are an extra barrier for ticks in the spring/summer on top of the obvious keeping your pants dry. They protect your laces, etc..

Unfortunately mine are on their last leg. They are the Gore Tex brand purchased at Cabelas. The elastic is worn out on top. They have been repaired ( unseen barbwire fence ripped a hole in one years ago) with seam sealer 4 or 5 times. Looking forward to a new set here real quick and thanks everyone for honest feedback cause it helps when deciding.

hank4elk

Sticklegs, toothpick, kenya, were among some of the many nicknames I had from teammates in sports growing up.
Flaco,Wilk the stilt, stix...LOL, I've heard them all.
I actually had to pull mine out this year. Old Cabella's gore. They still work and are noisy. But they work in monsoons too.
I too have a close stride and I hem draw strings into my hunt pants usually, to keep the noise down and crap out.
No noise in the new skre pants.
Following recommendations. Maybe we will get some more snow....

AlaskaHunter

I am a minimalist and old geezer.
I've not used gaiters in 30+ years.
(No ticks up here in Alaska)
I used to use them backcountry skiing, but eventually stopped using them and did not miss them.
For hunting, I wear rain pants when its wet,
Filson tin chaps pheasant hunting in MT where there is lots of hounds tongue about the closest thing I have to gaiters.

RyGuy

Not sure if this thread is still being watched by anyone, but just my 2 cents:
I love my gaiters. I have a cheap pair of kings camo ones and they’re pretty nice. They’re a cheaper alternative to rain pants and they let you wear more breathable layers on your upper legs and groin area. Which is good on warmer hunts. Nobody wants to be drowning in sweat in THOSE areas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluetix