Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Confirmed MT 2020

Tiredofthebickering

As I stated in a recent thread, Dad and I have a friend that has graciously offered to let us hunt his family land in northern MT (unit 600) for deer. However, he has been very clear that there are no elk on the property. After doing a little research, it looks like Dad and I can buy a point during the application for 2020 and go in with 2 points for the non-resident combo and be guaranteed to draw. Since we have access to private property for deer, we are thinking to spending the first several days of the rifle opener trying to find some elk before moving on to chase deer. This will be our first (of hopefully many) trips to MT.

Last year we went on an elk hunt with the hope of maybe finding some deer along the way. This year looks like it will be more of a deer hunt with the hope of finding some elk along the way.

Having heard time and time again about how MT is falling apart at the seams and FWP is doing its darndest to eliminate every last elk in state, do you have any recommendations on where we should waste our time? 😁

Also, we have been (and will be further) spending a lot of time on OnX and have been looking around the White Sulpher Springs area if anyone would be willing to have a conversation via PM. If anyone needs information on how to get your butt kicked in SE Idaho and come home empty handed except for broken equipment and shattered dreams I'd be happy to assist!

Last edited:
I haven't been paying attention to what's going on in other states.

Why do they want to get rid of elk?

Not sure you can still buy a point for this years draw to be used for this years draw. I do know the deer and elk app deadline has been moved to April 1 now instead of March 15.

Not sure you can still buy a point for this years draw to be used for this years draw. I do know the deer and elk app deadline has been moved to April 1 now instead of March 15.

Thanks for the heads up. I edited my post slightly but I may still be wrong. My understanding is that we can purchase/add a point at the time of the application that will be used along with the point we already purchased. But I could be wrong.

Thanks for the heads up. I edited my post slightly but I may still be wrong. My understanding is that we can purchase/add a point at the time of the application that will be used along with the point we already purchased. But I could be wrong.
Best to call the fwp office and ask them. I know additional points were done being able to be purchased last fall

You can acquire 1 point between each draw cycle.

Example: I drew in 2019, then purchased a point that summer. I cannot purchase another point before the 2020 draw. If I had not purchased one last summer, I would be able to purchase one going in to the draw.

Basically, MT gives you two time windows in which you may purchase a point between draws, but only one can be purchased.

You can acquire 1 point between each draw cycle.

Example: I drew in 2019, then purchased a point that summer. I cannot purchase another point before the 2020 draw. If I had not purchased one last summer, I would be able to purchase one going in to the draw.

Basically, MT gives you two time windows in which you may purchase a point between draws, but only one can be purchased.

I understand. We bought one during the latter part of last year so we cannot buy another going into the draw. Bummer, lol.

Reactions: LCH
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back