Colorado unit 4

PAGOAT

From what I've read it seems everyone says the elk head off public land shortly into the first day. I have 6 spots picked out to look into when we get into the area, I'm planning on 4 days minimum to scout before the first day. 3 spots are more of an escape route, drainages heading from high country to private, 2 are just areas that are hard to get to that look good the other id California park which seems very popular and all over the net. I'm leaving the 4 wheeler home this year I drug it out 2 years ago to a different unit for it to sit in camp all week. I will be bringing my enclosed trailer and canvas tent so moving camp can be fairly easy for when and if I find elk.

It seems the area has a large elk herd but also a lot of hunters. Is it going to be that bad during the 1st rifle? I can see second season being bad but I will be there 1st rifle unless things really change for the draw this year

I plan to buy a bear tag even though the Fish and Game site is showing that not a lot of bear are killed there. I'm thinking its more of a thing that people hunting deer and elk don't want to bother with them.

I decided to switch over to this area because of it still being an E/S tag while the unit I hunted before went bull only. I'm happy with any elk.

So what do you guys think ? Good plan so far ?

Brauee20

Was there two seasons ago. PM and I'll share the hard lessons we learned about that area. Camped in California Park and hunted 4 and 441.

I'm pretty sure if we went back I could kill an elk after talking to the locals and seeing how the first two days of season went.

88man

Hunted it years ago a few times. Pm me I can share some info

lbarkurn

From what I've read it seems everyone says the elk head off public land shortly into the first day. I have 6 spots picked out to look into when we get into the area, I'm planning on 4 days minimum to scout before the first day. 3 spots are more of an escape route, drainages heading from high country to private, 2 are just areas that are hard to get to that look good the other id California park which seems very popular and all over the net. I'm leaving the 4 wheeler home this year I drug it out 2 years ago to a different unit for it to sit in camp all week. I will be bringing my enclosed trailer and canvas tent so moving camp can be fairly easy for when and if I find elk.

It seems the area has a large elk herd but also a lot of hunters. Is it going to be that bad during the 1st rifle? I can see second season being bad but I will be there 1st rifle unless things really change for the draw this year

I plan to buy a bear tag even though the Fish and Game site is showing that not a lot of bear are killed there. I'm thinking its more of a thing that people hunting deer and elk don't want to bother with them.

I decided to switch over to this area because of it still being an E/S tag while the unit I hunted before went bull only. I'm happy with any elk.

So what do you guys think ? Good plan so far ?
Never been to the unit, but thats what I have gathered. Goodluck this year on public ground and I might run into ya!

hunthayden

Here are plenty of bears around but the sheepherders keep them alittle shy. 1st season normal has the highest success rate.

PAGOAT

I had 1 point which was 100 % last year. Not so much now, I was a little worried since a lot of units went bull only and this one stayed E/S that more people would apply.

ViperDriver

Anyone hunt GMU 4 during archery season? Is hunting pressure the same or less during bow season?

Dsnow9

Anyone hunt GMU 4 during archery season? Is hunting pressure the same or less during bow season?
I haven’t hunted 4 but I can’t imagine it’s not crawling with people like the other otc units. Hunt middle of the week and hard to get areas and you will get away from the majority

PAGOAT

I haven’t hunted 4 but I can’t imagine it’s not crawling with people like the other otc units. Hunt middle of the week and hard to get areas and you will get away from the majority
I'm pretty sure 4 is not OTC.

AMK Sportsman

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kitecop