Colorado Unit 18 Conditions following fire in 2020

VAELKHUNTR

The difference is all of 18 was burned and about 10% of 28 was burned.
Oh and there aren't really any "bad fires" in that part of the the country. Needs fire terribly. Lodgepole needs hot fires especially with all the beetle kill in there. 18 was hotter than what you want for the next 30 years but 100 from now it'll be great. 28 has some great edge already. Disruption of fuel continuity from fires is what once upon a time stopped pine beetles

VAELKHUNTR

I hiked and glassed a good bit of 18 last year in second rifle otc as a dirty lowlife non resident. I didn't see elk. I found sign, I saw really good pockets they could be in and heard from some resident Backcountry guys that had horses that the elk were in hellholes they didn't want to go into on the west side of the unit. I am an USFS wildland firefighter for 17 years. I can tell you unit 18 was burned hot. However, there are tons of places that didn't get that severity. If you listen to people that have lived in places their whole lives they are always going to think it is armeggedon because anything changed after a fire. The fact is lodge pole forests require stand replacement fires. They are on a century schedule. Not a human schedule. The land management agencies know that now and are trying to balance safety and land restoration. With the build up from a century of fire suppression we are going to have hot fires unfortunately.

Be careful going in those burns to hunt if there is wind, we don't go after fires in there because there is a good chance you're gona get whacked by a tree...and if you do there is no place for a medivac helicopter...newsflash there aren't always helicopters that can hoist you out of the mountain fellas. Be bad asses that chase elk in shitty burn scars until you have to pack a buddy out of there. If you don't have a chainsaw with you to cut a place for a helicopter you are f#"':;. If it is night time there is zero chance they're going to come get you. I love to watch the gritty guys but in the back of my mind is how are you getting out if you get hurt! Gives me anxiety lol
...I also go in those places solo because I am so competent and tough hahahaha

old roper 42

The difference is all of 18 was burned and about 10% of 28 was burned.
Really. If you drive west hwy 40 from Granby to Kremmling do you see north side of hwy burn? It's about 22miles long Did Horn ranch burn? or Indian Peak Wilderness that's in unit 18? I was up 18 tues/wed and seems like FS Ok cattle lease's and cattle did look fat. Sure lot burned. When I was up 18 the choppers (2) where mulching west side of Hwy125 looked like they has some mud slides. I know little about fire as we had one here Black Forest and every day I drive to town, I still see what fire did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DS51