Colorado tag return

WildWill

Applying for a first rifle elk and a pronghorn rifle tag in Colorado in 2023. If I'm reading the odds right I should have around a 50% chance at either tag. I'm not sure I'll have the time to do both if I'm lucky in the draw. If I remember correctly I can return a tag 30 days before the hunt and get either my points or money back but not each. Is that correct? Anything else to returning tags in Colorado?

Last edited:
Keep in mind that beginning next year pronghorn will be under either a 65/35 R/NR allocation or 80/20 allocation. Historically there has been no allocation split. That may or may not affect you, depending on where you're applying.

Keep in mind that beginning next year pronghorn will be under either a 65/35 R/NR allocation or 80/20 allocation. Historically there has been no allocation split. That may or may not affect you, depending on where you're applying.
I saw where this was discussed but hasn’t “passed” yet…?

You could return the tag within a few days of the draw results and get your money back and keep your points. That just started this year.

Interesting, I obviously missed that one. I wonder how much that will affect points required for resident point draws

Reactions: trb
Interesting, I obviously missed that one. I wonder how much that will affect points required for resident point draws
Probably not much in the grand scheme of things. In general, residents are already drawing more than 65 or 80% in the higher demand units because so few NR apply for pronghorn. Maintaining the soft cap means NR are not guaranteed their 20 or 35% allocation, and they can exceed the 35% allocation if there is insufficient 1st choice resident demand.

, and they can exceed the 35% allocation if there is insufficient 1st choice resident demand.
do you know if this applies to 1st choice only or any Res demand as a whole?
so if i apply for PP(1st choice) and some low demand Res unit as 2nd choice, will my 2nd or 3rd or 4th choices count as part of that 65% before allowing NonRes to go over 35%? thnx

You could return the tag within a few days of the draw results and get your money back and keep your points. That just started this year.
yep and if I recall it feeds the 2nd draw that designates all these tags go to youth applicants 100% preference over adults. Not a huge fan of that change.

do you know if this applies to 1st choice only or any Res demand as a whole?
so if i apply for PP(1st choice) and some low demand Res unit as 2nd choice, will my 2nd or 3rd or 4th choices count as part of that 65% before allowing NonRes to go over 35%? thnx
R/NR allocation (65/35) only applies on first choices. If demand is low enough that licenses are drawn as a 2nd choice or lower, they can be drawn by R or NR.

Game changer right there. You can always count on CPW to make point creep worse. But I didn't make the rules just playing by them. Now the question is which to return if successful on both.

can you point to more info on this? i was surprised to read this. hope it's not the case?
i get it that people sometimes need to turn in their tags, but getting points and money back is crazy.

yep and if I recall it feeds the 2nd draw that designates all these tags go to youth applicants 100% preference over adults. Not a huge fan of that change.
Yeah I'm not a fan either. I used it this year to return an elk tag but it was reissued because it took more than 5 points. We just play by the rules they set.

can you point to more info on this? i was surprised to read this. hope it's not the case?
i get it that people sometimes need to turn in their tags, but getting points and money back is crazy.

It's in the 2022 Big Game Brochure under the "What's new" section.

▶ A BRIEF PERIOD TO SURRENDER YOUR LICENSE AFTER THE PRIMARY DRAW IS NOW AVAILABLE: Once the draw is complete, CPW will send emails to customers who are successful in the draw and provide them with a short period when they can decide to surrender their license if they no longer want it, receiving preference point restoration to the pre-draw level, a refund of the license fee and removal of the license from the customer's account. The deadline for this surrender period is Mon., June 6, at 11:59 p.m. MT. If we're unable to charge the credit card on file in your account by the primary draw payment deadline (June 17, midnight MT), your license will be forfeited, and you will lose both the license and any preference points you used to draw it. See page 8 for more details.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back