Colorado hunters- did the state survey you about harvest success?

TexanSam

I just received an email asking me to take a harvest success survey. I recall that one of the criticisms of the CPW is that they do a bad job a calculating hunter success. Maybe they're implementing a new electronic way to resolve that?

To my knowledge, no they are not implementing anything new. Just random hunters will get e-mails asking them how they did.

I had/have 4 big game tags in CO this year, one still yet to hunt, and I've received no surveys. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Which is why people take their stats with a grain of salt.

I received a survey from my bow license about a month ago or so. I promptly completed it and returned it.

I always return them when I get them... but I often don't get them. I haven't received one for this year.

They keep calling me on the weekend while I am out hunting. :D

I finally just did mine online. Took like one minute.

I don't understand why they don't provide the online survey to everyone.

i know they are random surveys. but i wonder, since i am still holding a tag for which the season has not started, if they wait until all of a hunters hunts are over before sending a survey to them.

i think i've only gotten one survey in the past three years... well we'll see this year\

edit: oh vanish just reminded me, they did call me last year. I thought it was a spammer and hung up before the poor girl could finish speaking. when you start with "hi this so and so with the colorado department of wildlife"... i'm already suspicious of any number i don't recognize and then add in the fact that there is no "department of wildlife" in colorado...

i know they are random surveys. but i wonder, since i am still holding a tag for which the season has not started, if they wait until all of a hunters hunts are over before sending a survey to them.

i think i've only gotten one survey in the past three years... well we'll see this year\

edit: oh vanish just reminded me, they did call me last year. I thought it was a spammer and hung up before the poor girl could finish speaking. when you start with "hi this so and so with the colorado department of wildlife"... i'm already suspicious of any number i don't recognize and then add in the fact that there is no "department of wildlife" in colorado...

Colorado Parks and Wildlife most likely contracts with a "survey company" to to do the harvest surveys and those companies hire people to do the calling that may not get the name exactly correct. Contracting with a "survey company" to get the information is not uncommon.

What are the wildlife folks in Colorado called; Wildlife Division, Wildlife Section???

ClearCreek

Colorado Parks and Wildlife most likely contracts with a "survey company" to to do the harvest surveys and those companies hire people to do the calling that may not get the name exactly correct. Contracting with a "survey company" to get the information is not uncommon.

What are the wildlife folks in Colorado called; Wildlife Division, Wildlife Section???

Its not separate. Its all "Colorado Parks and Wildlife"

They take a statistically significant sample. Basically, if they survey every hunter they get the same percentage results as if they survey a statistically significant sample. Surveying fewer hunters is cheaper and the data is easier to process.

They take a statistically significant sample. Basically, if they survey every hunter they get the same percentage results as if they survey a statistically significant sample. Surveying fewer hunters is cheaper and the data is easier to process.

They get the same aggregate results, but because of their methodology the unit by unit and season results are total BS. So yes their harvest rate, hunter days, etc for the entire state are accurate, but their results for 4th season for unit 371 are meaningless because they didn't get one survey back from someone who hunted that unit.

This is why we need to do mandatory reporting like AK, CA, PA, OR, WA, ID, UT, NM, and NV.

Its not separate. Its all "Colorado Parks and Wildlife"

CPW (CO Parks & Wildlife) is a division of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
1574111741100.png

The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission is a citizen board, appointed by the Governor, which sets regulations and policies for Colorado’s state parks and wildlife programs.

No survey for me yet. So entirely ridiculous that everyone is not required to check their animals at least electronically. We do it in my home state for white-tails and there is FAR less reason to do so, since the official policy on deer is "kill em all" and it's a tiny state and there are no migrations, no bad winters, non-existent non-resident issues, no serious draw, no preference points, yada yada yada. Can do it from my cell phone while field dressing if I want. But go ahead CO, stick with your expensive outsourced statistical surveys even though you could REQUIRE each hunter to do the work for you for free other than the initial app.

Everyone who replied already gave you accurate information. That said, there are different "sections" in the agency, each with an assistant director. There are six assistant directors, and you can find their names and the names of the sections at this link.

I haven't got a survey in 7-8 years, probably 20 some tags? if I remember correctly the last time I did get a survey I got one for deer,2 elk tags, and antelope the same year so maybe they select hunters randomly and survey all of their tags?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back