Colorado Bear B Tags

Nathan

The unit I plan to elk hunt during archery season has B tags for bear. Looking at the big game guide it says B tags are private land only.

Am I reading that right? It appears majority of all the bear units are B tags. Seems strange they would lower the fee for non residents and then make the tags useless to most nonresidents.

If what you want is a bear tag while you are hunting elk, it can be list A. You only need a list "B" bear tag if you want a second bear tag.

Also, not all B tags are PLO, look in the table at the specific hunt codes. For example, BE041O1R is a limited bear tag for the Grand Mesa units. It's not private land only, and is list B.

That little call out table it a bit misleading focus on the code table and the far fight column. The way to think of B tags in CO is as bonus tags. So in your particular unit you can likely get a A tag for the limited rifle season, put in an app, then get a second B bear tag during the concurrent season with caps, which is OTC and good during archery season. For instance you could get 2 bears tags good during the archery season in 52, you could kill or bear with a rifle and one with a bow or both with a bow.

If your unit has an A in the far right column for the concurrent archery season it means that you can only get one bear tag for that unit and have to choose archery or rifle (although you could use a bow for this as well).

The whole thing is overly complicated and convoluted, but the take away is you are probably able to get one bear tag and maybe 2 for any given unit.

Feel free to pm me with your unit # and I can help you sort it out.

Attachments

• 6E9A44F6-0C44-4B5F-B7A2-25C850F5EEC6.jpeg
    6E9A44F6-0C44-4B5F-B7A2-25C850F5EEC6.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the replies guys.

Was a lot easier when I lived in Colorado and could just walk into Walmart and buy a elk, deer, and bear tag all for the same unit at the same time.

Back