Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Application Question

Muley4x4

Got three of us on board for Colorado. I have 4 PP. Other two don’t have any points. Thinking about all of us hunting deer.

• If I apply for a PP point as my first choice and then apply for a unit that we are all applying for as my 2nd choice I won’t have the same opportunity as them if they apply for the unit as their first correct??

Trying not to lose all of my points but to hunt with them.

Any help in application strategy would be beneficial.

• If I apply for a PP point as my first choice and then apply for a unit that we are all applying for as my 2nd choice I won’t have the same opportunity as them if they apply for the unit as their first correct??

That is correct - they will have preference over you in that case (i.e. All the 1st choice applications will be looked at before they get to yours).

Not to be Captain Obvious - but if you want 3 tags, I would look for units/seasons that went to 2nd/3rd/4th/Leftover choice last year.

Reactions: LCH
Pick hunts that historically could be drawn 2nd and 3rd choice, do a party app with an impossible draw 1st choice then your 2nd and 3rd choice hunt selections, and request the leftover list if unsuccessful.

Your idea could work too, but there's a decent chance of somebody not drawing.

LCH, "do a party app with an impossible draw 1st choice" - Why not just put in for preference point as first choice?

Muley4x4, maybe have your buddies apply for a buck tag as 1st choice and you apply for a doe tag as your 2nd choice. Again, you would have to look at draw stats to see what units this might be successful.

Should I just forget about it and hunt a unit that I could draw with 0 points? Or at least have them put in for a unit that they would have had over 50% odds with 0 points?

Assuming you 1. Want to make sure everyone gets a tag and 2. You get to keep your points.

Have everyone put in for a unit that had 2nd choice or leftover tags last year, put a super hard draw as your first choice* put their unit as your 2nd choice and then click the box to do the left over draw if you don't draw. If that unit isn't available in the leftover, get a refund and wait for a tag to eventually pop up as returned before the season... for a 0 point unit one eventually will.

* I'm not sure if you can request left over draw for preference points as your 1st choice.

Assuming you 1. Want to make sure everyone gets a tag and 2. You get to keep your points.

Have everyone put in for a unit that had 2nd choice or leftover tags last year, put a super hard draw as your first choice* put their unit as your 2nd choice and then click the box to do the left over draw if you don't draw. If that unit isn't available in the leftover, get a refund and wait for a tag to eventually pop up as returned before the season... for a 0 point unit one eventually will.

* I'm not sure if you can request left over draw for preference points as your 1st choice.

Where can you find the information for 2nd choice?? Any of those units that you can draw with 0 worth hunting?? Was thinking about 75. Other guys wanna grab elk tags as well. Please PM if you don’t want to post on here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back