Yeti GOBOX Collection

Colorado A List Cow tag

MattinCO

Why do some Colorado GMUs have A list cow tags?

In Colorado, generally, A list tags are Bull or Either Sex tags and B list are Cow tags (GMU 6 example below, OTC unit), but some GMU's have A list Cow tags (GMU 7 example below, non-OTC unit). A hunter is limited to one A list tag per species, but can have 1 A list and 1 B list tag or 2 B list tags.

I don't think it's related to whether a unit is OTC or not as I can find both OTC and non-OTC units with B list cow tags. It may be that only some non-OTC units have A list cow tags, since I didn't check every unit.

Since these are draw tags, if they wanted to limit the quantity of cow tags, they could reduce the quota. The only reason I can think of having an A list cow tag is to prevent a hunter from having both a bull/either sex tag and a cow tag for the same unit at the same time, maybe to prevent them from taking both a bull and a cow at the same time or from the same unit. Not sure how often this would happen since only 1 license per species is available through the primary draw and since these A list cow tags are in non-OTC units, a hunter would have to get the 2nd tag through the secondary draw or get a leftover/reissue. Those are possibilities, but guessing not very common.

Any thoughts why that is? Why CPW thinks it's ok for a hunter to have both a cow and bull tag for an OTC unit and some non-OTC units, but not for other non-OTC units?

I'm sure there's a valid reason that makes perfect sense, I just can't think of what that would be.

1646431084556.png

If you have either sex elk (A tag) and B cow tag you can kill 2 cows or bull and cow.

With A tag there is quote on both tags issued.

They do same with deer,antelope tags.

List B is generally to ensure cow elk are harvested at sufficient levels to slow population growth. It can also be a tool to help reduce hunting pressure/crowding by allowing a bull hunter to have the chance to also take a cow.

Back