Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado 1st Rifle 2020

CampNoViewPA

Hi everyone,
First timer going out west. I have a CO 1st rifle tag good for 11,12,13,23,24,25,26,33,34,131,211,and 231. I’ve been e-scouting for the last few weeks and really have it narrowed down to 12 and 24 for the large amount of roadless areas and altitude variance from 8,500-10,500 (obviously still open to suggestions). I really just don’t know what to expect I guess is the reason for this post. Any pointers? Anyone else have this tag? Anyone looking for a hunting partner to help pack?

My guess is this could be one of the busiest years em011o1r has ever seen.

Real curious to see the 1st draft of the leftover list here soon

My guess is this could be one of the busiest years em011o1r has ever seen.

Real curious to see the 1st draft of the leftover list here soon

My FIL did a bit of driving around the grand mesa a couple of weeks ago and they said all the campgrounds that can be reserved, where completely reserved for hunting season by the end of may...

I really just don’t know what to expect I guess is the reason for this post. Any pointers? Anyone else have this tag?
Welcome to HT - if the tag allotment for that hunt eventually sells out (and it probably will), 4999 others will have the tag.

Welcome to HT - if the tag allotment for that hunt eventually sells out (and it probably will), 4999 others will have the tag.

...plus the 3,200 cow tag and private-either. Bring some beer and make some friends.

This year... maybe, I think last year there were a pile left when the season opened.

1503 is a lot of leftovers...

My FIL did a bit of driving around the grand mesa a couple of weeks ago and they said all the campgrounds that can be reserved, where completely reserved for hunting season by the end of may...

The popularity of the reserved spots is fairly typical. Keep in mind most of the reservable campgrounds only allow reservations to the end of September.

Reserved camp sites are being booked at an alarming rate in co. But we have a stage 1 fire ban right now meaning you can only have a fire in a ring at at camp site. It’s illegal if you are dispersed on national forest. So part of me thinks this is contributing and the fact that it’s insanely crowded here right now.

Reserved camp sites are being booked at an alarming rate in co. But we have a stage 1 fire ban right now meaning you can only have a fire in a ring at at camp site. It’s illegal if you are dispersed on national forest. So part of me thinks this is contributing and the fact that it’s insanely crowded here right now.
And the fact that a lot of people that don’t normally camp or are new to camping are getting out there with covid. Camp supply purchases and camper purchases are through the roof right now in co.

This will be my 7th year with that tag (cow or bull). 6 years I have come home with elk in the freezer. We have always camped on National Forest. Find a flatish spot on the side of the road close to where you access. Most of the elk we find are in small to medium patches of dark timber. I arrive Monday or Tuesday before season to help get acclimated. (Good camping spots are everywhere) I get out before sunrise Thursday and Friday to glass. By Saturday morning I have a game plan and my legs and lungs are feeling ok.

Good luck out there! Been out there the last two years myself, didn’t fill a tag either time, but loved every minute of it. I’ll be out in the same general part of the state for 2nd rifle, but guided this year. I’m hoping I learn a ton so I can improve my DIY skills for the rest of my hunting days.

There aren’t very many reserved campground sites but there are hundreds of excellent dispersed camping sites for free. It’s our backyard and we camp there almost weekly.

There aren’t very many reserved campground sites but there are hundreds of excellent dispersed camping sites for free. It’s our backyard and we camp there almost weekly.

:rolleyes: So are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

There are limited campgrounds on grand mesa, that are built with facilities. They now require reservations, reservations are already booked out for hunting season.
1597851936293.png

There are a lot more people camping than normal.

My in-laws place backs up against BLM access on the Mesa, they've had people parking their RVs there all summer, many way over 40 days.

BLM said they are having a tough time with enforcement.

Dispersed camping likely will be more of an issue this fall than in past years. Probably more people will be looking to camp then stay in hotels.

Last edited:
Not arguing, just giving some up to date information from people who are up there weekly. Yes there are lots of ‘squatters‘ up there and the Forest Circus is doing what they always do about it, nothing. I went to the GMUG open house in Palisade two years ago. I talked with many Foresters including the Superintendent about this problem. The head guy acted like he was unaware of the problem and said they didn’t have enough law enforcemet officers to deal with the problem. I told him it didn’t take law enforcement people to visit these squatters and inform them of the need to move.

:rolleyes: So are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

There are limited campgrounds on grand mesa, that are built with facilities. They now require reservations, reservations are already booked out for hunting season.
View attachment 150907

There are a lot more people camping than normal.

My in-laws place backs up against BLM access on the Mesa, they've had people parking their RVs there all summer, many way over 40 days.

BLM said they are having a tough time with enforcement.

Dispersed camping likely will be more of an issue this fall than in past years. Probably more people will be looking to camp then stay in hotels.
There are no State Parks campgrounds on the Grand Mesa. There is one at Vega State Park.

I agree with wllm as above. Colorado is ridiculously crowded with recreators already this summer and anticipate this to continue well into the hunting season. However, if you get away from the popular trails, campgrounds and attractions you will be able to find a spot; make sure you have plenty of options.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back