CO Unit 23

jjcstl

I am heading out for a DIY hunt out of Buford, CO season 2 for the first time. Sounds like a lot of elk but also lots of hunters in the area. Any recommendations for this area? Also, anyone know of any local guides who do last minute hunts (not looking for a full outfitter). Looking for a backup plan in the event we can't find the elk.

Thanks in advance,

John

I have hunted this area several times and will be going back next year, however I usually go 3rd season. Only reason I won't go this year is because my father is ill. Karl Maser at Ute Lodge is a good person to contact about elk movement in the area, and he does some guiding. Also Shawn Welder is a good contact he is upriver from Buford also

Appreciate the names, I will try to get in touch with them. Sorry to hear about your father.

I second that Karl is a great guy. Ute Lodge is a great place to stay also. The elk are all over that unit, depending on weather and pressure. Get out there and find them.

We are staying in Buford- will likely hit a trailhead in the area and start hoofing.

Back