Caribou Gear Tarp

CO Muzzleloader Elk Tag GMU unit 4,5,441

mikemmarino

Hello,
Drew my first muzzleloader elk tag for unit 4,5,441. I have never been there and I am looking to shoot my first elk. I hear that unit 4 holds the most elk in CO but I could be wrong. I have also read on here about Bears Ear and it’s a good spot. Just needs some tips to help. Thanks everyone!

Hey Mike, congrats on the tag. There is a lot of general information on here that time spent searching will yield high results. Practically speaking, all elk units have elk, it's more about finding the elk in a unit than finding a unit. Nearly every unit has the potential to be "good" and even the "best" units have to possibility of producing "bad" hunts.

Only you can balance your fitness, access/lodging needs, hunting experience, etc. For example, on my Montana elk hunt, I was with a party of 4 and we needed to be close to lodging as the group wanted a day hunt experience. So my needs for that hunt are far different than if I was planning to bivy camp out of my backpack.

Once you determine your needs and develop a plan, you can contact a hunt planner at CO CPW and ask them some good questions about migration, elk numbers, hunting pressure, access, etc. Also, I'd recommend doing that sooner than later. The CO draw results have been out for 6 weeks so just now asking these very broad questions shows you are a little behind in your research. For example, elk numbers in unit 4 is a very simple search to answer and answer quickly. You will also be far more successful if you ask CPW and/or other hunters to weigh in on your plans versus asking for help making them.

I also highly recommend reviewing all of Randy's/On-X finding elk videos. Also, an Insider membership at GoHunt.com will shave a lot off the learning curve. That is money will spent and they are a sponsor of HT.

Statistically you are unlikely to fill your tag and that is perfectly fine. However, every bit of work you do between now and the hunt will increase the likelihood that you will. Also, I'd encourage you to put effort into being a contributor to the forums and not just a consumer. The "community" will respect and appreciate that and the contribution karma is likely to come back around.

Hey shannerdrake,

thanks for the information and input. I really do appreciate it and will be more active on here.

Hey Mike, congrats on the tag. There is a lot of general information on here that time spent searching will yield high results. Practically speaking, all elk units have elk, it's more about finding the elk in a unit than finding a unit. Nearly every unit has the potential to be "good" and even the "best" units have to possibility of producing "bad" hunts.

Only you can balance your fitness, access/lodging needs, hunting experience, etc. For example, on my Montana elk hunt, I was with a party of 4 and we needed to be close to lodging as the group wanted a day hunt experience. So my needs for that hunt are far different than if I was planning to bivy camp out of my backpack.

Once you determine your needs and develop a plan, you can contact a hunt planner at CO CPW and ask them some good questions about migration, elk numbers, hunting pressure, access, etc. Also, I'd recommend doing that sooner than later. The CO draw results have been out for 6 weeks so just now asking these very broad questions shows you are a little behind in your research. For example, elk numbers in unit 4 is a very simple search to answer and answer quickly. You will also be far more successful if you ask CPW and/or other hunters to weigh in on your plans versus asking for help making them.

I also highly recommend reviewing all of Randy's/On-X finding elk videos. Also, an Insider membership at GoHunt.com will shave a lot off the learning curve. That is money will spent and they are a sponsor of HT.

Statistically you are unlikely to fill your tag and that is perfectly fine. However, every bit of work you do between now and the hunt will increase the likelihood that you will. Also, I'd encourage you to put effort into being a contributor to the forums and not just a consumer. The "community" will respect and appreciate that and the contribution karma is likely to come back around.

Also what make it statistically unlikely? Thanks!

Welcome
prod.jpg

Also Mike, I’m sure you are aware already, but CO has pretty specific ML requirements. I have a series of post over in the Muzzleloader section on getting my ML CO ready. If you don’t have your setup ready already it might be worth a read.

Hey thanks shannerdrake and Hunt West I appreciate the conversation. I will go look that up and read up on your ML set up.

Reactions: LCH
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back