CO GMU 65 Sanity Check

OtisUntamed

Hey guys,

Relatively new to the forum, however not new to hunting. I hope the earlier seasons have treated you well and best of luck moving forward. I was hoping to bounce some ideas and/ or thoughts off anyone that would be willing to discuss. Currently planning on hunting third rifle shortly after getting home from this deployment. Unfortunately with everything going on and being deployed overseas I've been relegated to online scouting and will have zero chance to get out before hand. It will be a mad dash getting home, getting the pack packed and rifle confirmed in two days before hitting the road. I've spent most of my time hunting elk in Idaho, and have spent some further SW in Colorado. I feel that I have a decent grasp on the unit, but I'm a firm believer in boots on ground time and experience. If anyone would be willing to talk further about their experiences or provide any insight it would most certainly be appreciated.

Hey Otis,

Thank you for your service...home of the free because of the brave. I am a new member to the forum as well. My son is stationed in CO and I am planning a hunt in 2021. Hopefully, he will be a part of that hunt. Wondering if we could direct message and discuss the area?

How'd your hunt go? We were out there last year for 3rd rifle season. We found the elk just didn't have time left to get to where they were. Tough country!

This is how most posts go, come on here ask for advice in your first couple posts- you may/may not get advice and then never login again.

I hunted this unit in 2019 for first rifle- a buddy is an outfitter so he hosted us but in 5 days we never saw or heard an elk on public. Saw two cows one day on private. Dozen plus trucks at every trailhead- not a unique experience for a 0 point unit though.

Back