Clothing brands for tall/slim(ish) frame

CJnGA

Anybody have suggestions for hunting/outdoor clothing brands that offer tall sizes. I'm 6'7" / 200lbs, so fairly long and slim. I can't order XXL stuff to get legs or sleeves long enough without it turning into a parachute in a gust of wind. I usually end up getting XL and then dealing with sleeves that ride up my forearms or pants that barely cover my ankles. For reference, I'm a 37" sleeve length and 36" inseam. Most XL sizes top out at 34" inseam and MAYBE 35" sleeves.

I know Midway's brand has tall sizes, and I've used them for some base layer type stuff, but looking for some outer layers that work as well.

TIA,
CJ

For pants look at Stone Glacier medium tall or large tall. I really like the DeHavilland Lite pant for all around use and they are legitimately cut for tall slim people. Outdoor Research has some pieces that would likely work for you as well. I don't like how their pants are cut, but for upper body layers I've had very good luck with Rab on slim and long arm fit. I'm 6'2" @ 190.

Kuiu Attack pants come in Tall also. They are a 37” inseam. Great all around pant also.

I bought a pair of tall kryptek pants and they are indeed tall. Not sure what the inseam is but i normally wear a 34 inch inseam and its definitely longer than that.

Not sure for your specs but I have gotten some nice TALL clothing from LLBean. Instead of a baggy and square fitting XL, the Large Tall is a perfect fit, I am 6’1. An XL Tall might be up your alley. Not sure if there is Xtra Tall. Maybe you can get sleeves tailored. Perhaps call them?

Believe it or not, I'm almost exactly your size, and yes finding good fitting clothing is a pain...

My Base layers are old school cabelas poly in tall....LL BEAN does make merino (cresta?) base layers in tall sizes

My go to Pants are Eddie Bauer guide pro ascent 34x36 in earth colored solids

I have Black Ovis merino midweight hoodies in XXL for the length and people's reviews said they were super tight cut....true so they fit me ok...I may have had a tailor take them in just a bit in the body, can't remember, only costs a few bucks for that adjustment if you need it

Eddie Bauer large tall evertherm downlight hooded puffy jacket

Eddie Bauer large tall cloud cap 2.0 rain jacket

Kuiu large rain pants (inseam is only 34" but it's a rain pant I wear with boots so it's ok)

I know Sitka and First lite make some of their stuff in tall size pants but I haven't tried them yet.

Get some XL size over the calf socks from Darn Tough, or Icebreaker, or Smartwool...highest merino content you can find (usually 65% or so)...midweight works fantastic for almost the entire year. Most of mine are actually ski socks. I'll never go back to not wearing merino wool socks

Following....if you do find anything that's a good fit, post it up!

Believe it or not, I'm almost exactly your size, and yes finding good fitting clothing is a pain...

My Base layers are old school cabelas poly in tall....LL BEAN does make merino (cresta?) base layers in tall sizes

My go to Pants are Eddie Bauer guide pro ascent 34x36 in earth colored solids

I have Black Ovis merino midweight hoodies in XXL for the length and people's reviews said they were super tight cut....true so they fit me ok...I may have had a tailor take them in just a bit in the body, can't remember, only costs a few bucks for that adjustment if you need it

Eddie Bauer large tall evertherm downlight hooded puffy jacket

Eddie Bauer large tall cloud cap 2.0 rain jacket

Kuiu large rain pants (inseam is only 34" but it's a rain pant I wear with boots so it's ok)

I know Sitka and First lite make some of their stuff in tall size pants but I haven't tried them yet.

Get some XL size over the calf socks from Darn Tough, or Icebreaker, or Smartwool...highest merino content you can find (usually 65% or so)...midweight works fantastic for almost the entire year. Most of mine are actually ski socks. I'll never go back to not wearing merino wool socks

Following....if you do find anything that's a good fit, post it up!
Good Intel. I've had good luck with Eddie Bauer with non hunting clothes. They're having (or just had) a 40% off sale, btw.

My dad normally wears 34" inseam. He got a pair of Sitka 36T Mountain pants. I tried them on. They're a little "high water" for me but might be ok with tall boots and gaiters.

Kuhl pants have good long lengths but they're thin (at least the ones I have right now). They're good for hunting here in GA - they're durable and dry out quick.

I’m 6’5” 200 pounds and the Sitka stuff in tall sizes has been great for me. I would think it should likely work for you too even though you’re a little taller.

FYI for anyone that stumbles onto this later...

I ordered a pair of KUIU Attack in 36T and Stone Glacier De Haviland in LT and did a side-by-side comparison. The good new is that both were plenty long for me, but I ended up keeping the SG pants. They were heavier and more roomy through the rest of the leg and boot opening, which helped them not 'high water' when sitting down. The KUIU were a very well made pair as well, just a little more lightweight (which would be fine for around here, but I'm looking for MT in November) and a little more 'athletic' fit which I thought might be something to deal with with when base layers were involved. Actually, if it weren't for the price tag, I wouldn't mind having the KUIU as a good every day 'wear around' pair of pants. They are really comfortable and well made.

Stone Glacier De Haviland in LT size:
20210915_090034.jpg

KUIU Attack in 36T size:
20210915_085720.jpg

forgive my ignorance, looking at a late season elk hunt in DEc at altitude. what are the different layers of clothing from skin out and what suggestions on warmth and durability, I tend to be cold

forgive my ignorance, looking at a late season elk hunt in DEc at altitude. what are the different layers of clothing from skin out and what suggestions on warmth and durability, I tend to be cold
Merino Base
Synthetic mid
Softshell
Puffy Insulation
Hard-shell

Bottom
Merino
Hunting pants
Down Pants
Hard-shell

Typically I hike in base/mid/softshell then pull on the down and hard-shell for glassing.

Puffy should be close to the outside, and only worn when you're not moving. Hardshell over if you're getting rain/snow otherwise puffy as last layer.

I struggle with getting cold so above is what I wear when it's like 40s. For colder I'll just up the weight of each item or add an extra puffy layer.

Last edited:
Merino Base
Synthetic mid
Softshell
Puffy Insulation
Hard-shell

Bottom
Merino
Hunting pants
Down Pants
Hard-shell

Typically I hike in base/mid/softshell then pull on the down and hard-shell for glassing.

Puffy should be close to the outside, and only worn when you're not moving. Hardshell over if you're getting rain/snow otherwise puffy as last layer.

I struggle with getting cold so above is what I wear when it's like 40s. For colder I'll just up the weight of each item or add an extra puffy layer.
Thank you, this is very helpful. I have noticed that clothing technology as well as correct application has changed significantly in 10 years

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back