Chokecherries

JEL

Between the hard May frost and then the heat and drought we are lacking in chokecherries this year. I did find some on our farm trees and will scrounge some other farms for more. These will turn into jelly. Anyone else use chokecherries?9DBA2D69-B9A1-4494-BF69-FA57EC355C93.jpeg

We bought a home three years ago with trees (bushes?) of them in it. Going to use them next year. I hear that if you put in a small percentage of the redder berries in, you don't have to add pectin.

Keep us posted!

My wife makes a chokecherry sauce that she puts over Bree cheese. Very good.

We bought a home three years ago with trees (bushes?) of them in it. Going to use them next year. I hear that if you put in a small percentage of the redder berries in, you don't have to add pectin.

Keep us posted!
I have never heard this. In fact chokecherries are finicky about setting sometimes so you get syrup instead of jelly (which by the was can be a great substitute in cocktails that call for simple syrup).

I have never heard this. In fact chokecherries are finicky about setting sometimes so you get syrup instead of jelly (which by the was can be a great substitute in cocktails that call for simple syrup).
My jelly sets up somewhere between syrup and rubber.

I just make syrup now. It goes well with venison, especially slow cooked stuff. Pour a half cup in for the last 10-15 minutes or pour it directly on the meat.

How do you guys get the juice? I finally settled on just simmering and not mashing the berries. I get too much junk when I mash the berries and it clogs up the filter. The stuff that gets by the filter is bitter.

Ive got half a dozen giant bushes behind my house that are absolutely loaded with them. Ive never made anything with them (but other people have come over and taken them for things in the past).

I once bought some chokecherry mead at a gas station. The viking on the label swayed me - couldnt pass it up. It was absolutely horrible. I drank it all, tho - didnt want to let down the fun-looking viking.

122505751_361696131914836_4148786988408655850_n.jpg

How do you guys get the juice? I finally settled on just simmering and not mashing the berries. I get too much junk when I mash the berries and it clogs up the filter. The stuff that gets by the filter is bitter.
I just fill the pot with water to just above the cherries then simmer. Strain that through a game bag to keep the junk out.

I've mashed, then used a simple mesh strainer to remove scoop after scoop, getting the coarse stuff. Then either through a cotton rag, or just puree in the blender.

Between the hard May frost and then the heat and drought we are lacking in chokecherries this year. I did find some on our farm trees and will scrounge some other farms for more. These will turn into jelly. Anyone else use chokecherries?View attachment 191723
Have trees in the backyard that are loaded with them this year and bigger than usual (about the size of those in your photo I'd judge). The ones here don't get that dark however. Are those in your photo from wild trees?

I tried one off a local tree about four decades ago and am not quite over the horribly bitter taste just yet. How much sugar does it take to make them palatable?

When I was 8 or 9 my mother decided to make chokecherry jam. When all was said and done, it never set up and was closer to juice. It went into the basement and was forgotten. Some 10 years later we were short on pancake syrup and a jar was opened to fill the need on curiosity. In that time it had fermented and formed a fine alcoholic substance in a syrup form. Pancakes have never been the same since we ran out. Not entirely sure how to do that over but it's well worth trying to simulate.

Have trees in the backyard that are loaded with them this year and bigger than usual (about the size of those in your photo I'd judge). The ones here don't get that dark however. Are those in your photo from wild trees?

I tried one off a local tree about four decades ago and am not quite over the horribly bitter taste just yet. How much sugar does it take to make them palatable?

Cup of juice 3/4-1 cup of sugar

When I was 8 or 9 my mother decided to make chokecherry jam. When all was said and done, it never set up and was closer to juice. It went into the basement and was forgotten. Some 10 years later we were short on pancake syrup and a jar was opened to fill the need on curiosity. In that time it had fermented and formed a fine alcoholic substance in a syrup form. Pancakes have never been the same since we ran out. Not entirely sure how to do that over but it's well worth trying to simulate.

My parents were visiting with us, and dad brought some chokecherry syrup. I made waffles and was busy making them for the family, and couldn't keep ahead enough to eat one myself as my dad had thirds, and then a fourth waffle. I finally poured some syrup on my waffle, and being the teetotaler that I am, took one bite and asked if the syrup "tasted funny". I wonder what proof that jar had, as it was potent, and tasty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back