Cheer me up boys…

OntarioHunter

Wish I could give advice on this subject. Glad I am ignorant (for once). I'll be seventy in a few days and still driving on my own wheels. Had a few knee issues over the years but always managed to come out of it okay without surgery. Kind of a miracle too considering left leg is over an inch shorter than right one. No significant back trouble either though every time a Dr looks at a chest x-ray he/she shudders. That short leg sure twisted my spine.

Good to hear you're making progress. Follow the Dr's orders. He'll know how hard you should push yourself. Good luck with the armchair stalk. I'm sure you'll adapt. Remember, it's only temporary.

VAspeedgoat

For hunting with a newly fixed knee I preferred an old fashioned crook neck cane. They may tell you to just walk slowly but let's be honest, if you see a 15" buck that won't happen. Metal canes will be clangy and I don't think you can grip a walking stick quite like a good cane. I preferred mine a touch on the short side so I could keep my arm straighter anput more weight on it if necessary. Again, they will tell you to put the cane on the opposite side and walk normally. But again, if you are hunting that isn't always an option and 15 minutes of walking with bad form isn't gonna screw you up permanently as long as your not putting too much force on that knee. I used the cane almost like a peg leg on the outside of my hurt knee.

The most important thing I can say is this and please do it. If you trip, get off balanc etc, just let yourself fall like you were just shot. You will probably have to try and save yourself once but then you'll really learn it. It's is easier to just fall over and get back up than try and make that knee save you. If that makes sense.

Also, the hinges on the side of the brace are perfect to grab your leg and swing over a log, rock, etc.

Hunting Wife

For hunting with a newly fixed knee I preferred an old fashioned crook neck cane. They may tell you to just walk slowly but let's be honest, if you see a 15" buck that won't happen. Metal canes will be clangy and I don't think you can grip a walking stick quite like a good cane. I preferred mine a touch on the short side so I could keep my arm straighter anput more weight on it if necessary. Again, they will tell you to put the cane on the opposite side and walk normally. But again, if you are hunting that isn't always an option and 15 minutes of walking with bad form isn't gonna screw you up permanently as long as your not putting too much force on that knee. I used the cane almost like a peg leg on the outside of my hurt knee.

The most important thing I can say is this and please do it. If you trip, get off balanc etc, just let yourself fall like you were just shot. You will probably have to try and save yourself once but then you'll really learn it. It's is easier to just fall over and get back up than try and make that knee save you. If that makes sense.

Also, the hinges on the side of the brace are perfect to grab your leg and swing over a log, rock, etc.
So you’re saying in 18 days I will not be moving across the sage like a gazelle?

Damn it. 😁

Walking on open ground is actually pretty normal at this point. It’s the obstacles that kind of worry me. And I still have work to do before I could even think about any type of real hiking. Need to gain a little more flex. Going up is pretty good, but don’t have quite enough range yet for downhill or down stairs. Getting close though. Steady progress is being made so I can’t complain.

Protect the graft. Protect the graft. Protect the graft…

I should go binge some Netflix and do my flexy exercises now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiska2009