Checking in from South Mississippi

DeepSouthMatt

Hey my name is Matt I’m from South Mississippi. I’ve been a whitetail hunter since I was a kid here in the south. Decided to join because I’ve wanted to start hunting west for several years and want to figure how to plan a western hunt. I’m shooting for next fall elk.

Welcome to the site. I hope your plans for elk next season works out.

I guess since I have to wait to create any other thread I’ll just ask the question here. I’m wanting to go to CO next year and hunt elk. Here’s my question rifle seasons don’t seem to start until late October, so how do ranch/outfitter hunts get it use rifles so early. I ask because I would prefer to use my rifle early. Like this week next year early. Also is there a way to achieve an early rifle hunt that is more DIY and less petting zoo that you get to shoot at?

I guess since I have to wait to create any other thread I’ll just ask the question here. I’m wanting to go to CO next year and hunt elk. Here’s my question rifle seasons don’t seem to start until late October, so how do ranch/outfitter hunts get it use rifles so early. I ask because I would prefer to use my rifle early. Like this week next year early. Also is there a way to achieve an early rifle hunt that is more DIY and less petting zoo that you get to shoot at?
The best way to do that would be the Colorado muzzleloader season.
Some ranches are part of Ranching For Wildlife and have early hunts. Usually very expensive.

The best way to do that would be the Colorado muzzleloader season.
Some ranches are part of Ranching For Wildlife and have early hunts. Usually very expensive.
Ok thanks for the heads up. I’ll look into the Ranching for Wildlife but if it’s all that expensive I may just suck it up and shoot for an archery or muzzleloader tag. I’m not the best archer but my bow has killed before. I just don’t like my odds getting into range with either alternative. Ethically speaking I’m good for much further out (as most people are) with high power and glass. Temptation to lob something out there is a hard thing to contend with when you are looking at your prey just outside your comfort zone. I can’t count the times I’ve been at full draw just praying they would get a little closer or take that step into a shooting lane or my draw stroke spooked some does and they bound just outside my range and stopped and stared at me. I just want to stack the deck I guess. 😂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back