MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Catch'em Two at a Time

Ike

Catch'em Two at a Time

A couple falls back, I took the Wolf Pack out alone on a Friday morning to run bears. It was a textbook rig and catch, and the hounds never got out of hearing. However, I had sent five hounds and the first three treed low in a canyon while my two redbones treed up higher. So I gathered my leashes and camera and went to the tree.

The first tree was a nice cinnamon boar that was probably around seven years old, and made by the original Wolf Pack, LionHeart, Rowen and Ryan. But when I was done video taping the boar and had pulled the dogs, I noticed the other two weren’t treed anymore.

I got back to the truck and loaded those three dogs and set out to find the other two. Several hours later I found them pushing a cold sow track and pulled them. That bear had run out from under those two dogs.

Saturday came and three of my running buddies went to the same general area to try and catch that boar, as one of them had a tag. They ended up starting him on a cold trail and never got him jumped. Two of those guys spent the night on the mountain gathering dogs, so I told them I’d be up at daylight Sunday if they were still around.

Sure enough, I telephoned them around 5:00 AM and they had just picked up their last hound. However, they wanted to jump in with me and see whether good luck would shine that morning.

Bingo, we got a good hard rig and shipped the dogs just after daylight. That bear went a long ways, but the dogs fell on the wood several canyons away and we worked our way to a place we could hear them treed.

Walking in, we pulled a greenhorn trick by talking as we approached the tree. One of these guys had never seen a treed bear. As we neared the tree, I could hear the roar of the dogs get steady and I knew that bear was coming down. But the bear’s escape was foiled by the Wolf Pack as they fell on the wood in about a quarter mile. My Ryan dog was in his prime at five years old and he could fly like the wind down a bear track.

Upon our arrival, we found a nice sow in a huge ponderosa tree with my four older dogs under it. My yearling, Choco, hadn’t made the long run. Whether he broke on trash, couldn’t trail fast enough to stay with the pack, or got hung up in the rocks I’ll never know. But I was pretty proud of the Wolf Pack for treeing three adult bears with two casts in so many days.

Those two bear trees were featured in my Hound Dog Crazy video.

I’m pumped for bears, how bout you guys?

Ike hump

Attachments

• catchtwoboar.jpg
    catchtwoboar.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 148
  • catchtwosow.jpg
    catchtwosow.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 147
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads