Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Cartridge choices for Mauser action build..

std7mag

Well after some research and measuring it appears that the "German" Mauser i bought is actually a large ring Spanish Mauser.
It is supposedly in 8X57 Mauser.
Stock was hacked, so that's getting replaced.
While i'm at it may as well go ahead with a barrel swap.
But what cartridge?
I already have a 284 Win Mauser, but it weighs 10 lbs, so 284 Win not out of the question.

284 Win
7X57 Mauser
25 Souper
25-284

Those are my top 4 choices.

I assume you handled or have a buddy that does. If not, that would impact my choice of the calibers you note. Is this for target shooting or hunting? If hunting, are their bullets that match up well with the species you will hunt? If you answer those questions and still have all 4 on the list then my vote is for.....7mm-08. I always color outside the lines.

Of your list, I'd stick to the 7mms as I like the bullets options better over .257". Having a lighter weight 284 to pair with the heavy one wouldn't stink!

The barrel/trigger/stock and some other work i do myself. Friend has ability to square up the receiver face, and such with his lathe.
In my stable already are.
250 Savage
257 Roberts
7mm-08AI
(2) 280 Rem
284 Win
7mm Rem Mag

Looking to build this as a hunting rifle.
Not too terribly opposed to same caliber as i already have, but would like different if i could.

7X57AI, eh??? Hmmmm.

I don't know much about switching barrels on mausers, but you got about everything covered with what you have listed. Maybe something else/different? 338-06 seems to be an interesting round. I don't know if that is an option for that action.

Non-Mauser based cartridges work fine in some Mausers with no modification, and in others you have to modify the feed lips and follower to get them to feed smoothly. With that in mind I would go with 6mm Rem, 6.5x57, 6.5-257Rob, or 7x57. If you want to fool with possible need to modify the action, I’d go with 7x57AI.

For different, I'd be looking at the 6.5. Either on the 284 or X57 case. Lots of neat bullet offererings in 6.5

For different, I'd be looking at the 6.5. Either on the 284 or X57 case. Lots of neat bullet offererings in 6.5

Yep. The 6.5x57 is about perfect for case capacity too. It has the shoulder position of the 8x57 while the 6.5-257Rob has the shoulder position of the 7x57, so the 6.5x57 has more capacity and the 6.5-257Rob has a longer neck. Pick your poison.

Well after some research and measuring it appears that the "German" Mauser i bought is actually a large ring Spanish Mauser.
It is supposedly in 8X57 Mauser.
Stock was hacked, so that's getting replaced.
While i'm at it may as well go ahead with a barrel swap.
But what cartridge?
I already have a 284 Win Mauser, but it weighs 10 lbs, so 284 Win not out of the question.

284 Win
7X57 Mauser
25 Souper
25-284

Those are my top 4 choices.

you have a mauser action, which of the four your thinking about also says mauser ? Dont over think this (-:

Lol, i'm well aware, Europe... Lol
As mentioned i do like the thought of the 6.5X57 Mauser also. If nothing else than to irritate the manbun crowd.

Maybe something in a .358X57...

I know i'm getting another E.R. Shaw barrel. I have 3 now, and am really happy with them!
Boyds Prairie Hunter stock. Full length bedded.
Need to play with the trigger a little bit to see if i'm keeping or changing.

True, and i do already have 7X57 brass, (for the 257 Roberts) and a good amount/ selection of 7mm bullets.

The more i think about it the more the 7X57 makes sense.

AI or standard?

As much as I like AIs I’d recommend standard to avoid feeding issues. My dad had one in 7x57AI that was pretty awesome though. It takes a little action work to get them to feed correctly.

Hmmm, to AI, or not to AI?
That is the question!!
And alas, i have not decided upon an answer yet.

Tore the rifle down before i went to work.
Action looks in decent shape. Full of gak, but decent.
Barrel is toast! Lots of corrosion, rust, pitting under the stock. The corrosion was sticking to the wood.

Calling E.R. Shaw next week. Guess i have till then to decide AI or not.
I'm leaning more towards standard 7X57. Simply due to my daughter being able to borrow it for hunting. Load some light 120gr Ballistic Tips.
Then i can use my Ruger in 257 Roberts for something besides coyotes.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back