Yeti

Canyons of life

OntarioHunter

I also somehow missed this thread. I'm sure the OP thinks I'm just being my usual jerk self towards him by not responding to this. Not the case. I can empathize. We went through this repeatedly with our daughter from about sixteen until her mom and brother died just before turning eighteen. At that point I became the basket case. I was never suicidal in the "have a plan" sense, but few who haven't experienced it understand the hole can get so deep so fast that rational decision making becomes lost.

Try to be supportive without doting or interfering. It's a fine line for sure. Sounds like the girl is trying to put this behind her. Monitoring is obviously essential but if it's obtrusive, it only brings up bad memories. I presume she was prescribed antidepressant? Be sure she stays on that med! She may think she's ready to quit and she may be, but getting off that stuff can be tricky and requires professional guidance ... I know that we'll enough! Not necessarily scary from a suicidal perspective, but physically it can really throw one for a loop. I only cut back my dosage, didn't stop, and suddenly found myself unable to figure out where I was or had been in the grocery store. Called my daughter to come get me and she took me straight to ER. I thought I had a stroke!

Hopefully your daughter has a good counselor. Made a big difference with my daughter. At that age kids are going through the natural hormonal change that drives them away from home. It's a basic animal instinct that was necessary for the survival of the species... when we were mere animals. So as parents we need to respect that it's often easier for them to open up to "strangers" and we should not be offended by that "intrusion." Our natural animal instinct is to try to keep the family unit together protected from outside threats. It's hard as hell to guide kids through the difficulties of adolescence when those two contradictory forces are at odds under the same roof. Hopefully someone under another roof can be more objective.

Your family history must be a concern for sure. But that was then and this is now. I doubt the "nature or nurture" debate will ever fully be resolved. So maybe it's not in her genes. Doesn't really matter. Don't ever blame yourself. Not sure that is an issue but don't let it be. For the few months that she lived after our son died, my wife beat herself up for "giving him" her familial epilepsy. It was terrible to watch. Kept her from getting help when she needed it. The blame game was a diversion.

Last edited:

Akcabin

I will say a prayer for your family. I'm not in your shoes but I do have 2 kids. One of which is our beautiful daughter. Who when younger made some bad decisions. But she learned to recognize them. Went to trade school for truck driving. One day she says to me. Dad I don't like being around a bunch of people but still need a job I like n can live on. I suggested truck driving. She has had her cdl for over 10 years. From several different states. She got tired of the bad pay n went back to school for welding n loved it. And went back for another 8 weeks of training. Now has several certifications and a bunch of qualifications. Was top of her class. Certified up to 1-1/2" structural red steel. Now working in the arctic on petroleum explorer rigs doing wildcat exploration. And has skills that make her a valuable asset. And she knows how to work. Nobody's done until everyone done.
Like many of us, like happens to our loved ones, and us. Mom always said the Good Lord works in mysterious ways. Our daughter had some bad experiences but we were always there for her. Good or bad, thick or thin ! Family sticks together.
From this experience in her life. A boy was born. He has been a magnificent part of our family and continues to bless our lives daily. And is my little buddy.
Good luck n may the Good Lord look down u pon your family n grant you guidance

JLS

Quick update before I pop smoke for a while.

Youngest appears to be doing well. She laughs more and is her old goofy self. She’s caught up in school and is scorekeeper for the varsity baseball team.

Relearning relationships between the three has been a little bumpy. We’ve tried to make it clear to all of them we don’t expect perfection. We expect grace and compassion.

Last weekend we had a birthday dinner for our oldest and her boyfriend. Middle daughter made a rather insensitive remark about not getting a birthday because youngest was in a mental hospital. I wanted to kick her ass.

Youngest went to her room after dinner, so I went in to visit. As I expected she was passed at her sister. We were talking when middle daughter pokes her head in and saw the tears. My initial expectation was callousness and disregard, as has been shown in the past.

What I witnessed blew my mind. Middle daughter let her sister explain her hurt, and then freely apologized and fell on her sword for making a very insensitive comment, even though she didn’t mean it the way it came out. It brought my wife and I to humble tears to watch this.

God has been working miracles with her, and the shift in family dynamics has been amazing.

Akcabin

Hey JLS that's great man ! Remember who job it is to set an example. Just a suggestion but getting the thought of kicking your daughters ass would be a good place to start changing about how you approach your daughters. They are not perfect, and neither are we. Sometimes if folks can take just a half a second to think before they speak or react. And remember if you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all.
I can say for me. I know my beautiful wife would never intentionally say or do something that would hurt me. And can let things slide, but those comments are cumulative and we are human. Gotta keep your eyes on the big picture. Family stays together, and it's your job to lead. Sounds like your kids are doing great.
Hey we're had our own family times, and we always stuck together. Daughter had to go experience life her way n things got rough. We never gave up and now we have a grandson. And my life could hardly be more blessed. Wonderful daughter is now one of the toughest chicks in the state working in the arctic. And I'm a proud papa.
Maybe those aren't canyons, maybe they are just lessons in life. And not meant just for you. There's a win in there, live on your wins man

JLS

Today seems like a fitting day for an update. We celebrated Mother’s Day with eggs Benedict and a walk afterwards. It was wonderful. We talked about challenges in life such as school, work, and relationships.

On Saturday we attended a service for a longtime family friend. I’ve known Jean for as long as I can remember. They’ve been like family, and their daughters are like sisters to me. The oldest is walking through a tremendous canyon with her husband. One she fears may not be surmountable.

All of this was a bomb drop to me, and we shared it with our girls. Not as gossip, but as a realization of how damned messy life is, and it’s not if, but when you’ll get knocked on your ass.

I told them about what a wonderful legacy Jean had left, and now it was up to the daughters to navigate the hurts and challenges and baggage of life. I also told them how much our girls’ mom reminded me of Jean, and how thankful I was to have someone as a wife who was also a best friend.

There are still fears. Our youngest is in a good place. However, i experienced some PTSD last week while hunting. An InReach message would spark a severe stress response. One day at a time. God’s plan doesn’t rely on input from us.

Hammsolo

Those stress responses are hard. I still struggle when my wonderful wife’s text messages pop up on her screen. My stomach sinks… The last one prior to my divorce was “Good Morning, I love you Baby 😘.” It was from her current cheater at the time… it’ll take time and breaths, but it will fade. I hope mine disappears someday. Kim has done nothing to deserve the response.

Prayers up and thankful for an awesome day for your family buddy.

Derek44

Super happy to hear things are going smoother. Nothing will weigh on a guys mind more than family issues. We’ve never met, but judging from what I know of you here, it’s your level personality and genuine care for things that helps keep your train heading the right directions. Understand the apprehension while away on hunts, but I’m sure your mind is happy to be out and about. Nothing like a good hunt to soothe the soul.

Yeti

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sand Meadows