Caliber suggestions.

Hello my vote to 6.5x55..an under rated caliber....love it.. light recoil and a pleasure to shoot..👍
Look for a Styer mountain rifle..
What ammo do you use for the 6.5x55, I just bought a barrel in that wonderful caliber but I’m unsure about the ammo… thank you.

If you don't reload, I'd strongly consider a 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Both of those calibers have lots of factory ammo choices, several manufacturers with good lightweight rifles to choose from. For deer, antelope, coyotes, etc. either of these would be good choices in my opinion.
243 make's a good varmint/predator cartridge but, I should not say this, 6.5 CM is simply to big. But to be able to handle my 338 mag years ago I shot ground squirrels with it! So maybe the 6.5 CM would work just not for me. Problem being bullet's are on the heavy side and 243 bullets in light weight about right. I'm pretty sure that something everyone has to decide for themselves!

A little follow up. I would up getting a 700 Mtn. in 260. The guy I got it from bought it new, wanted to keep his scope ( fine by me ) and he included two and a half boxes of ammo. He sighted it in, hunted a couple times and decided he wanted a bigger cartridge ( for elk )
I’ll put my scope ( 3.5 x 10 ao ) hopefully get it sighted in with less than the opened box and that’ll leave me with two full boxes. Federal Fusion 120 gr. Thanks to all for your input and I wish I could get one of everything mentioned. But this will likely be my last rifle and if it gives as good of service as the ‘06 did I’ll be very content. I really like the slimness and the weight reduction is what I really needed. Next step is replacing the heavy 12 ga. A topic for another discussion.
OldMan 50

A CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel.
I think that is a great option.
Light, plenty of energy for coyote and deer.
Negatives including more of a reloading proposition and actually finding that rifle in that caliber since the discontinuation.

Always lots of opinions. I do have a ruger tang safety in 243 win with a vortex 3x9 on it. Super easy to shoot and would fit the bill. If anyone is interested shoot me a line.

finding that rifle in that caliber since the discontinuation.

We got two-barreled action from Brownell's
Under $500 and we got factory take-off stocks one in kids' size.
The Grandougter is now 13 and still, in love with her gun, she has many coyotes, P dogs under her belt, and 7 mule deer.

Back